Is this a good price for 12.5% liquid chlorine?

Jun 8, 2008
A few questions:

Pool store is having a sale and has the 12.5% on sale for 4, one gallon containers for $14. Is this a good price worth stocking up?

Also, I noticed that they also have the powdered stuff (no di-chlor or tri-chlor like the powdered shock I usually see) - what is a good price for those one-lb. bags? All chemicals are 25% off, so I thought it might be a good time to stock up. Does the powder stuff have a good shelf life?

Thanks again!!

I've seen 12.5% LC 2 gallons at walmart for $10, so that seems like a good price. I think I get my 6% bleach for about $2.50 per, I forget the size of the containler but I think it's bigger than a gallon. So compared to bleach I'm not sure how good a deal it is.

queenofmyswamp said:
A few questions:

Pool store is having a sale and has the 12.5% on sale for 4, one gallon containers for $14. Is this a good price worth stocking up?

Also, I noticed that they also have the powdered stuff (no di-chlor or tri-chlor like the powdered shock I usually see) - what is a good price for those one-lb. bags? All chemicals are 25% off, so I thought it might be a good time to stock up. Does the powder stuff have a good shelf life?

Thanks again!!

The powder shock that is not dichlor is either MPS or Cal-Hypo. MPS is better for indoor pools. As for using Cal-hypo, with a vinyl pool, you don't "need" calcium, but low levels won't hurt anything either. You should have a CH test done to see what your level is and then decide that way if you want to use it, because you certainly wouldn't want the CH level to get too high. The shelf life for cal-hypo is better than 10-12.5% which will degrade in a rather short period of time, especially if stored in light/heat. The liquid should be stored in a cool dark place, and used within a few months. Price on the cal-hypo, depending on the percentage I've seen it as low as $2.99 a bag up to $4.99 a bag. Just depends.

That $14 price is $3.50 a gallon which is good. When you say stock up, unless you have an algae bloom, I wouldn't buy more than 4 jugs to start with, see how long that lasts you.

Local to me, the 5 gallon carboy is 22.99 with the 6.00 deposit included (so, 16.99 for 5 gallons). Thats the best price Ive found for it, and its only slightly better than your price.

Carrying 4-1 gallon bottles around is probably easier.......and its DEFINITELY easier to pour.

queenofmyswamp said:
A few questions:

Thanks again!!

What store is having this sale?

Anyone living in the midwest where there is a great escape pool store near by should look there, I bought 2 cases with 4 one gallon bottles in each for 9.97 each that is less than 2.50 a bottle...I don't think you can beat that...They are in Illinois, Indiana and One location in Ohio...Mostly around the Chicago land area...but if you live there...Good price.

I'm not sure if this is all leslie's or just the one closest to me, but they have "double punch wednesdays" so you get two punches for every one purchase on your buy 10 get 11th free chlorine refill. of course they almost always have a buy 2 get 1 free sale, but still.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
queenofmyswamp said:
A few questions:

Thanks again!!

That's what I'm paying -- my local pool store charges $3.99/gal or 4 for $13.99, regularly.

It's very very close to the same price per ounce of Wal-Mart brand bleach (after factoring in the larger bottles at lower solution). But I get it in smaller containers, and less possibility of it splashing on me when I'm putting it in.

rastoma said:
extremernc said:
I've been getting my 12.5% bleach in 2.5 gallon containers for $8.90 each at a water store near me. Looks like that is a pretty good price.

a 'water store'?

Please explain.

Well I call it a water store because its not really a pool store but they do have chemicals for pools. I think i just confused myself! :hammer: They supply chemicals and equipment for potable water systems for residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal applications. They are the largest supplier of industrial bleach in eastern North Carolina.

Heres a link to explain further: http://waterguardinc.com/

Hope this explains it!!!

yeah I can't believe all these places that have such expensive chlorine, or places like texas who don't have it at all. crazy. and the chlorine here used to be $2.49 for 2.5 gallons in 2006. leslie's just lowered their price to match pinch a penny at $4.25. where do you live?

AV8TOR said:
I am new to the Dallas Fort Worth area, does anyone know a good supplier of 12.5% LC around here. Using the Sams club 6% at the moment.

Hi AV8TOR. I didn't realize you were in Texas! Well, there's another thread where we're trying, here in Texas, to find some 12% with no luck so far. And the one place I've found that sells 10% for cheaper than Lowe's (which is $4.98/gal) is a supply place in Garland, which sells 4 gal for, I think, around $13. It was a little over $3 per gallon, which was computed to be pretty high compared to the 6% price at Wal-Mart. But our Wylie Wal-Mart no longer sells the Ultra, which was $2.63 for 182 oz. They're carrying a different brand now that runs $3.98 for the same 182 oz :( So the Garland supply place is definitely cheaper for us now, given that it's 10%.

I'm still trying to find some 12% and will be happy to let you know when/if I find some.

Hi feifer! It looks like most of us in the DFW area are the ones on this thread...probably because Texas doesn't allow the sale of 12%. Or at least that's my understanding so far. The places I've called only go to 10%. The cost of the 10% appears to be a little bit higher than the cost of the 6%. So I think what it comes down to is, is it worth it to you to pay a little bit more to NOT have to haul as many jugs of chlorine back home and out to the pool? It would still be much better with the 12%, since that would cut the hauling in half!

I plan to make the trip to Garland for the 10%, since it's not that far from Wylie. I don't know what part of Dallas you're in, and Dallas (as well as Garland) are quite big!

Maybe we can create some type of co-op and have some 12% (or higher) purchased just beyond the Texas border, then bring it in! But that may end up being cost-prohibitive since all the Texans who've inquired are not close to the border.

So far this season, we've only been needing 1 to 1 1/2 qt. of 10% each evening, which is not all that expensive. I'm hoping if someone finds some 12% somewhat close to our area, that they will chime in and share the info!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.