Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question re stir stick

1. Back To Top    #1

Question re stir stick

I received my TF100 and my stir stick
    yesterday. I notice that 10mL in the containers in the test kit doesn't equal 10mL in the stir stick container. I poured 10mL from the chlorine only container into the stir stick container and it showed 11.5mL in the latter (without the capsule added)....has anyone else noticed this?
    Tina (TKO) ~ My Pool: In-ground concrete/white plaster kidney shaped (21x40x9(deep end)); ~28,000 gal; Pentair Superflo hp pump; Hayward S244T 300lb sand filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question re stir stick

Are you looking at the bottom of the meniscus? I notice that this is more pronounced in some of the vials.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Are you looking at the bottom of the meniscus? I notice that this is more pronounced in some of the vials.
    I have noticed that as well. The chlorine only vial that comes with the TF-100 (that has the bump in the bottom) has a nearly flat meniscus. The calibrated Taylor cylinder that comes with the SpeedStir has a deeper meniscus.

Either way, I'm sure as soon as I get home, I'll be checking mine!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tko View Post
    I received my TF100 and my stir stick
    yesterday. I notice that 10mL in the containers in the test kit doesn't equal 10mL in the stir stick container. I poured 10mL from the chlorine only container into the stir stick container and it showed 11.5mL in the latter (without the capsule added)....has anyone else noticed this?
    I just did the same thing, and with the same result. Definitely closer to the 11.5ml line in the cylinder that came with the speed stir.
    24' Doughboy Autumn Breeze AG - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1hp - Hayward EC40C90 Perflex DE
    ColorQ Pro7 & TF 100

5. Back To Top    #5

It really does not matter much as long as you are consistent.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I got a cheap 10ml syringe left over from some prescription or other, and that's been a big help (super cheap if you don't already have one). Easier to draw a consistent amount, and then can pour it in whatever vial you want to test with.
    IG Vinyl, free-form 25' x 40', 25,000 gal., Hayward 1-1/2 hp Superpump, Hayward S310T 500lb. Sand filter, AquaLogic T-Cell 15 SWG and Automation, Hayward H300 Milivolt 300k btu NG heater, TF-100 Test Kit w/spinner

7. Back To Top    #7

That'sbrilliant, actually. I have a ton from when my mom was on hospice.
    I guess I'll put them to good use. Thanks for the idea!
    Tina (TKO) ~ My Pool: In-ground concrete/white plaster kidney shaped (21x40x9(deep end)); ~28,000 gal; Pentair Superflo hp pump; Hayward S244T 300lb sand filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir