Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing from Chlorine to Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing from Chlorine to Salt

Any downsides?

I get most the basic stuff about it.

The machine is about 1000 bucks unless someone knows a better place to get one...

My CYA is high I think. around 80 according to the pool place. Just got my test kit today... so will know more tomorrow.

So it is just right for salt... and my wife wants it...

so since I am on a well. it may save draining it in the future.
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing from Chlorine to Salt

I think you already answered your own question ..... "and my wife wants it". I think you're getting an SWG.

Most people who invest in one are pretty happy with them. You still have to watch your FC level each day, but a little less maintenance.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Your pH tends to climb a little
    Just have to check it like any other pool.
    There is also a section dedicated to SWG that you'll find helpful.
    Hayward, PoolPilot are 2 good manufacturers for Salt water generators.
    You're on the right site.
    Best of luck

4. Back To Top    #4

After all the research i did, even if it doesn't save money like some say, i decided to go this route. It may require occasional cleaning and the unit doesn't last forever. I have read personal accounts of 3 to 7 years. Probably many factors in the difference.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, found the SWG one. But i didn't know that was for SWG particularly.

Need to talk to the wife... but seems like a decent option. as that machine cost as much as a few years of bleach the price isn't much different.
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Just to be clear, you will STILL have a chlorine pool when you get a SWG. Some folks don't realize that.

Make sure you get one 2-3x the size of your pool so that you can run it less, have plenty of chlorine production and it should last longer.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Just to be clear, you will STILL have a chlorine pool when you get a SWG. Some folks don't realize that.

Make sure you get one 2-3x the size of your pool so that you can run it less, have plenty of chlorine production and it should last longer.
    good tip, thanks

And yes, I know, it uses salt to make the chlorine.

Is it just a different type? why is it less abrasive?

8. Back To Top    #8

Same type of chlorine. It could feel less abrasive due to the salt in the water or that in general the FC/CYA ratio is held a little tighter due to more constant addition of chlorine. CYA (stabilizer) has a buffering effect on chlorine which may lead it to feeling less abrasive.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is a silly thing.

What if I just put salt in and use chlorine like normal

Is this ever done?

I have had lots of random ideas over the past 2 years

10. Back To Top    #10

It has been done by people trying to get the benefits of the saltwater. It should not change anything else materially. It could though be difficult to manage the CYA of 80 unless you are very diligent.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Puppies, I just switched to a Hayward Aquarite and T-15 cell.
    My pool is 23k gallons, similar to yours.
    I love it.

So far, I've needed a slight, eg. .2 adjustment to ph about every week-10 days. Not bad.

I am also on well with sequestered water for iron content. So far no problems. In researching the switch, I did discover that in terms of metal sequestrants/stain & scale control products, -- if you use them -- Jacks Magic Purple is formulated to work with swg, just so you know.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains