Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Is there any common wisdom on whether it is better to run the SWG at a higher percentage for shorter time, or to run the pump longer with a lower SWG percentage? I would think there would be a cost benefit one way or another in comparing electric rates to the longevity of the salt cell when run at different percentages.

Right now I am running the pump for about 8 hours with the SWG set at 60% to target an FC of 6. I have the pump set at 1200 for three different windows of run time. If I notice that I've reached my FC target in the evening when I test but there still more run time left on the pump, I just turn it off for the remainder of the last pump run until it comes back on in the morning. Our electric rates are pretty good: $0.069/kWh.

Would I be better off running the pump longer during the day and lowering the cell percentage? I'd like to maximize cell life, but don't know what affects that the most.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

I think that cell life is related to amp-hours which is amps times time. So should not affect the life of the cell one way or another. For my pool, I have solar heating so I want the pump to rune during daylight hours. Your system may vary.

It won't affect cell life but it will affect pump energy use. So if you can, increase percentage and run for a shorter period of time. You probably don't need 9 hours of run time anyway.

The cell is designed to make xxx amount of chlorine in its life span. A high % with short run times will not extend the life of the cell compared to a low % output with a longer pump run time.

Your electric rates are low so there will not be a big savings by switching to a shorter pump time vs a long pump time.

Your pump run time should be controlled by how long it needs to keep the pool clean to your satisfaction. If the short run time with high % output on the SWG works, that will save the most amount of money on electrical costs.

The question is dialing in the speed and run times of the pump that maximizes your savings. Each pool is different and you will need to experiment with that.

It won't affect cell life but it will affect pump energy use. So if you can, increase percentage and run for a shorter period of time. You probably don't need 9 hours of run time anyway.

Thanks Mark. I just edited my post because I realized that my run times only add up to 8 hours. But you're right... I could probably get by with fewer hours.

So am I understanding it right that the cell life is dependent on how long the SWG is running, not at what percentage it is set at during that time?

- - - Updated - - -

The cell is designed to make xxx amount of chlorine in its life span. A high % with short run times will not extend the life of the cell compared to a low % output with a longer pump run time.

Your electric rates are low so there will not be a big savings by switching to a shorter pump time vs a long pump time.

Your pump run time should be controlled by how long it needs to keep the pool clean to your satisfaction. If the short run time with high % output on the SWG works, that will save the most amount of money on electrical costs.

The question is dialing in the speed and run times of the pump that maximizes your savings. Each pool is different and you will need to experiment with that.

Thanks ping. This is a great summary of exactly what I was wanting to know.

I like to run my pump about 8 hours to keep the surface of my pool skimmed (we're surrounded by trees with lots of pollen). Since it runs longer my SWG doesn't need to be set over 10-20% of the time. If I ran the pump less I would just increase my percentage.....but then my pool surface would have schmutz. :sad:

I like to run my pump about 8 hours to keep the surface of my pool skimmed (we're surrounded by trees with lots of pollen). Since it runs longer my SWG doesn't need to be set over 10-20% of the time. If I ran the pump less I would just increase my percentage.....but then my pool surface would have schmutz. :sad:

Is your 10-20% just this time of year, or do you have to increase it as the temperature goes up? What is you pool temp now?? What do you try to keep your FC at? Also, what is your CYA? I'm still trying to dial mine in. Thanks!!!

My water has been around 80 degrees. I have an autocover so my pool gets protection from the sun when closed, although it is open a lot of the time too.
My FC is in the 7 range, my CYA is 60. I keep my CYA a tad lower than recommended again because of the autocover.

The absolute most I've run my SWG is 30%, but if I'm not on top of it the FC will get too high.

I always use bleach when I want to spike it up fast.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I set up a separate timer to run the SWG independently from the pump timer because I have solar water heating and the SWG ran when the pump ran and I had no control over SWG run time.

It is wired in such a way that the SWG will only run when the pump is on, so I have the SWG set to 100%, and adjust the run time in the timer to get to the proper chlorine level.

I leave mine set at 40% and run my pump from 7am to Midnight (30% between 7am-11am, 60% from 11am to 7pm, 30% from 7pm to 12am). I keep my CYA lower than recommended (about 40), but my chlorine levels pretty much stay between 4-5.5 every time I check.

Last year, my water stayed balanced all year without me having to add anything after May. So far, it has stayed balanced this year after the initial SLAM was finished after opening and I balance it (although it's only been since last Friday).

I know I probably run it more than most, but it doesn't seem to affect my electric rates. I put in new HVAC units at the same time as I put in my pool, and my Summer rates went down about $150/month even with the pool added.

I would assume the pump speed would be the same in both cases (why wouldn't it) so it is only run time that matters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.