Helping my neighbor with algae

Update - About 2 weeks ago neighbor adult daughter let me know she had to shock her pool due to an algae outbreak. Looking back at the prior post I see it took about a month from when I helped them complete a SLAM and the pool was sparkling to the algae outbreak. That is actually faster than I expected. We have been having some significant rains that probably contributed to the outbreak by causing their FC level to dip too low. They run right on the low limit with the pucks so it doesn't take much push things to get out of control.

Neighbor mom told me the other day that her algae problems are due to the fact she needs to resurface her pool. :confused: I'm not sure who she had looking at her pool (or why) but he told her this was the solution to her algae issue. He had her rub the side of her pool to notice that it was very rough (which it is). Apparently, it was resurfaced 10+ years ago. I told her the rough surface might make her brushing a little more challenging but that the old surface was not the cause of her algae issue. Of course, the pool is not being brushed regularly.

I would not be surprised that her pool surface is worn out because she doesn't check the pool chemistry other than taking a sample every couple of weeks to the pool store. She has no recollection of every adding acid and never tests pH (or FC or anything else) herself. They use softened water so they have to add calcium when required although she had forgotten about the bag that had been in the garage for a year. We put it what she had when I was helping her balance her chemistry after the SLAM.

I will chat with neighbor daughter about what's going on since neighbor daughter is the one who will pay for the resurfacing. I've read the stories of owners being sold lots of potions for resolving their algae issue but I think this is the first time I've heard that an algae issue can be resolved by resurfacing the pool!

Some people will say anything to make a sale :( That is sad and so NOT needed. You and I both know all they need to do is brush and keep the FC up (and other things balanced). Unless the plaster is falling off or cracking it does NOT need to be replaced.

I bet they have some scaling--the roughness you can fill. We could fix that also IF they wanted to do things the right way.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.