Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What does the KW stand for on my pool pump label?

1. Back To Top    #1

What does the KW stand for on my pool pump label?

What does the KW stand for on my pool pump label? I thought it may stand for kilowatt, but the proper way of displaying the abbreviation for kilowatt is kW, not KW. Also, when I manually calculate power based on the voltage (115) and amperage (18.6), I get 2.14 kW, not 1.1 kW. I'm trying to determine how much electricity I'm using running my pump 9 hours a day so that I can make a cost savings comparison for when I get my new robotic pool cleaner and run my pump less. Thanks
    Attachment 48237
    IG, Plaster, 15,000 gal, Free-form (angular)
    Pentair FNSP 48 DE filter (48 sqft)
    Hayward SP3010X15AZ pump with 1.5 HP motor (installed 3/2015)
    Rock waterfall, large live oak shades half the pool
    Re-plastered April, 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What does the KW stand for on my pool pump label?

In that sense on the motor plate, KW and HP are rating to indicate power output. 746 watts is roughly equal to 1 HP depending on your conversion.

- - - Updated - - -

You would have to actually measure the running current of the motor to determine real world power usage. The name plate amps is locked rotor current which is the maximum current draw of the motor.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I get over 2kW too when doing the math. As for figuring out what you are using the labels are often best case scenario and do not reflect reality. If you want to know the real usage I suggest turning everything in the house off at the main breaker panel except the pool pump. If you have a smart meter it's very easy to see what you are using but even if you have an old spinning dial system you can Google how to read it.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

Power use will depend on the plumbing of your system to a degree. If you want to be accurate, you'll need to measure actual current.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat