Newbie Pool owner from Dallas, TX.
14400 gallon vinyl pool, PentAir Clean and Clear Cartridge filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner.
I neglected my pool over the past several months during winter. Now I have severe Algae problem. I am currently using Walmart brand Great value bleach (concentrated 8.25%, 121 oz). I tested my FC this morning at 8 am after dumping 2 full bottles of bleach last night around 9pm. It reads 0.5 ppm. My CYA is zero I believe. On testing using Taylor Kit 2006, the black dot was still visible even after filling up the test kit container fully. So I added some conditioner this morning (2lbs) as per directions. Also dropped 3 trichlor tablets on the pool.
Now here are my questions:
- Do I need to wait for CYA to rise before adding more bleach? Itís been cloudy/raining here lately, so not much sunlight during day time. Also it rained last night after I added bleach.
- I read that Algaecide has side effects. So just stick with bleach to address this issue?
- Currently I plan on adding 2 more bottles of bleach tonight to raise the FC. Or should I get store brand shock?(calcium hypochlorite)
- My PH was above 8 last night. I ended up adding too much Muriatic acid. Now the PH reads 7 or below. Is that Ok? Or should I raise it before adding bleach?
- I have yellow/greenish sand like particle (mustard algae) all over pool floor. But I brushed off the ones from the walls/steps etc. Will the Polaris pool cleaner be used to vacuum the algae from the pool floor? I donít have another means of vacuum as of now.
- I havenít cleaned the filter yet since I bought the house 2 years ago. Newbie on owning and maintaining a pool. Should I hire a pro? I donít want to open it and break something especially with this Algae situation. Can I wait until the problem is fixed to clean the filter?
- My readings:
FC : 0.5 ppm
PH : 7
TA: 75(tested last week)
- In what order should I balance the chemicals? CYA, FC, PH, TA?
Thanks in Advance for all the tips. Really appreciate it guys.