I need help with my swamp.

Apr 29, 2016
Edgewood, TX
I have my TF-100 XL ordered and I'm slowly working on getting the debris out of the pool. My pool is currently a frog habitat. There are hundreds of tadpoles swimming around in it. The pool was used last summer. It's an unground Doughboy. 15,000 gallons. Deep end is around 6 feet. With 3.5 feet shallow and around the perimeter. Vinyl liner. Cartridge filter. Jandy Pro Series CL 340. There's a giant sweet gum tree that's been dumping all it's leaves and such in the pool since the fall. The pool is very green. I will attach pictures once I figure out how to do so from my phone.

Right now I'm just using a leaf rake to clean the pool and it's not a fast process. Is there anything I need to do before the kit gets here? Or anything that would make this process go quicker?

Thank you!

Mod note: I merged your two threads. It is much easier for us to help you if we have the whole story together. Kim

Re: Frog Habitat

Hello and welcome to TFP! You have the right idea ... manually clean, clean, clean. The more the better. No sense trying to guess what chemical levels are needed at the moment. You might even have an ammonia issue in there which we will guide you through later when the kit arrives. Stock-up on bleach, make sure your immunizations are up to date (KIDDING) :), and read the SLAM page a couple times.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Great to have you with us!

Welcome! :wave:

A leaf bagger
Sallie-LeafBagger.jpg

Leaf eater - how well do they work? is, I think, the most recent thread discussing them.

I got my leaf bagger in and tested it tonight so I could get a feel for how it's going to work. I plan doing lots of cleaning tomorrow as long as the weather holds out. Do I need to test the water now or wait until I get it cleaned up more?

I got my leaf bagger in and tested it tonight so I could get a feel for how it's going to work. I plan doing lots of cleaning tomorrow as long as the weather holds out. Do I need to test the water now or wait until I get it cleaned up more?
Whenever the water has been well mixed you can test. Running that cleaner around should help keep things stirred up.

Okay, then here's what you need to do:
1 - Lower pH with acid to about 7.2. Check about 20 min later with pump mixing to confirm change is good
2 - Before adding any stabilizer, do the 10-min drill ... perfect if it's cloudy at your place like mine today - we're checking for ammonia
2a - Raise FC to 10; check every 10 minutes. If it drops below 5, raise it to 10 right away again and keep doing this every 10 minutes
2b - Once your FC holds over 5 or close to 10 after 10 minutes, add granular stabilizer for a CYA target of 30 and increase FC to "12"
Now you're SLAMming! Check FC consistently to ensure is stays at 12. Let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You're welcome! Let us know how things turn-out. Hopefully in a short time frame, you'll be past the 10 min drill and moving on to your normal SLAM (CYA of 30 and FC of 12). If you or your frogs have any questions later, let us know. :)

Went out today and there was a tiny turtle on the second step that took off into the depths before I could grab net to fish it out. I think I'm going to keep vacuuming this week and start the SLAM on the weekend. I don't want to start pouring ton of chemicals in until I get as many critters out as possible. I'm grateful I have a couple of ponds so that I can re-home them.

I've started the slam. Adding three gallons at a time. I'm holding steady at .5 FC and CC. I've noticed a change in color after the last time I've added bleach. Do I just keep adding bleach? I just put more in and plan on checking on it in the morning. I'm up to twelve gallons.

I have a 15,000 gallon in ground vinyl pool.

I get frogs frequently in the skimmer, the live ones go back in the garden..........but then again, I should toss them over the wall because they could be what the 2 Cobras were after..........I have taken 2 Cobras out of the yard and the third snake was so fast, I don't know what kind it was

I've started the slam. Adding three gallons at a time. I'm holding steady at .5 FC and CC. I've noticed a change in color after the last time I've added bleach. Do I just keep adding bleach? I just put more in and plan on checking on it in the morning. I'm up to twelve gallons.

I have a 15,000 gallon in ground vinyl pool.

How did the 10min test go?

Just tested the water again. Still showing .5 on FC and CC and I never got the FC up high enough yesterday with 12 gallons of bleach to do the 10 minute drill. The CYA tube still has a visible dot all the until the tube is full. Do I need to add stabilizer before continuing with bleach or should I go hard core on the bleach?

Sounds like ammonia to me. I would definitely not add CYA until confirmed.

e: 10 minute drill is the best way to eliminate. 10 minutes, test, add; 10 minutes, test, add; etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.