Pump problem after storm

dhware

Jul 14, 2012
Oklahoma
We had a storm last night and got a lot of rain. I noticed when I looked out that the pump wasn't running. Well it tripped the breaker. I shut off the pump; reset the breaker. Now when I turn the pump on it only makes a low hum. Our electricity did blip; not enough to reset clocks but enough I heard it and dogs freaked out. We have a Hayward super pump 1.5hp. Model SP2610x15 for an inground pool. 5 years old. We did replace the seal kit on it a few weeks ago. Thoughts on what has happened? My husband won't be home until late this evening from work so I thought I would try to go get some parts if the pool store has them so he can try to get it back going. He is an apprentice electrician so he has knowledge (more industrial though) and tools but not sure what tools he has to check like the capacitor? I don't have much electrical knowledge. Lol Any thoughts would be appreciated!

ADDED: Well I went to prime it to see if I could get it to start and water starting pouring out from under the motor. So it looks like the seal has broke again. The first time was when we started the pool up and it was just slow leaking. It did slow leak for a week because of my husbands work schedule. When he got into it only the housing was damaged from the leak. My husband replaced and it blew again but he realized he put the ceramic piece in backwards. After replacing with another kit it has worked for a week and one day. Any thoughts on why is it breaking again? We do have had good pressure with no air.

Mechanical seals are fragile and easy to damage while installing them.

Make sure the carbon and ceramic are free of any grease or oil.

Do not lubricate the rubber seat.

The part of the seal that is mounted to the housing must be fully seated in its grove and can not be tilted

Before turning the on pump or spinning the impeller fill the housing with water so the seal is completely submerged in water.

When you remove the seal inspect the motor shaft for any scoring or pitting.

I had a pool service come out since my husband will be working late. The impeller un-threaded itself and that was the leak because it was just able to pour out. He re-threaded it and put it back together, primed it and went to start it and it started smoking immediately. Shut it off again, took the back of the motor and started it again so he could look at it and it made a snapping sound and shut off and water was pouring out again because it un-threaded itself again. He said something with the motor is bad and we will need to replace. Getting prices from them but they are always super high so before committing I'm going to find prices online for a new motor.

Thank you. Yes, we do the majority of the work ourselves. Thank you for the tip! With all the rain we got last night and I'm not sure how long the pump worked before breaking (we run at night) I was trying to get it fixed today but not going to do it if it's ridiculously more than we can do it for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.