Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS/DPD test vs Taylor K1000 chlorine test

1. Back To Top    #1

Glendale, Az

FAS/DPD test vs Taylor K1000 chlorine test

This morning doing both tests, I found that the K1000 test showed chlorine level above 5. The FAS/DPD test showed the chlorine level at 2. Ph was above 8.2. Why is there such a large difference between the 2 chlorine tests??
    15,000 ig, pebble tech,sand filter,remodeled in 2007. Glendale, Az
    TF100 w SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: FAS/DPD test vs Taylor K1000 chlorine test

I have always found the OTO test to be very subjective and difficult to read. Most people on here will tell you that it really is only good for a rough "presence of chlorine" test. I switched to using the DPD color matching test in the Taylor K-1001 test kit for daily, routine testing. I find I can read the shades of pink much better than the shades of yellow. That said, the gold-standard test is the FAS-DPD titration test; that is the one you should use for an exact measurement.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates