Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How close to dig

1. Back To Top    #1

How close to dig

I'm building a deck around our pool & need to know if I'm going to have any issues digging around 3' away from the pool. I've dug out 13" around the area & need to dig another 2 feet deep for the post. It might sound silly, but this being a vinyl liner pool, will the weight of the water be an issue digging down that deep? Here's a fairly early picture of what I'm looking at.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    26,000 Inground Vinyl, 16' x 32'. Pentair Intelliflo SVRS, with 30" Hayward Pro Sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How close to dig

A post hole? No problem. ,!

A trench may present issues depending on several factors but a post hole will be ok
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm redoing the plumbing to our pool, and am shooting for a 3' trench that's parallel to the length of the pool, only because that's as far out as I can go. I don't have my pool filled, as it's still below the wall connections, so there's less water weight pushing from inside the pool outward. I'm hoping I have just enough water in there to keep the wall from falling inward toward the water.

I'm hoping that an expert or someone knowledgable might chime in on this topic.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, I should add that when we replaced the liner four years ago, the guy said something like "Be Glad it's not wood." So, I guess it's steel walls.
    26,000 Inground Vinyl, 16' x 32'. Pentair Intelliflo SVRS, with 30" Hayward Pro Sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Set my post, no issues at all