Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Eyeball Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Eyeball Question

I have a 16 x 32 in ground vinyl pool with one return in the shallow end. How should the eye ball be pointed? Should I be getting some surface movement - in other words point the eyeball slightly up towards the surface of the water in the shallow end - or since I only have one - should it be pointed toward the middle of the pool (in terms of depth) and towards the deep end?

Should my pool really have two returns? I do have another eyeball fitting in the deeper end but it only has the trim ring on it. It's covered by the liner and it not returning any water - obviously. It also looks like I have a second return pipe sticking up out of the ground near the filter but nothing is attached to it.

Just an FYI - the pool does have a bottom drain.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Eyeball Question

If you point the eyeball at the surface, your pH will rise over time. If you have stable or rising pH I would point it where the greatest circulation would be achieved. I know that's subjective, but maybe think of it as "if paint were spraying out of this how could I paint as much surface as possible".

I only have one return and one skimmer and no (working) bottom drain and I get along just fine.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

My pH is normally relatively stable. I like the paint analogy. Thanks!
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

That return line is probably capped off due to a leak at some point in the past. I would aim the eyeball so it points parallel to the water surface to create a clockwise or counterclockwise rotation. Whichever works best to move stuff to the skimmer. Try each direction to see which works best.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach