Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added shock now pool is green

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry Added shock now pool is green

Went and had water tested. All values came out great except chlorine so they said add shock. I did and the next day my pool was green. Please help
    Sandra hannah

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added shock now pool is green

Welcome to TFP!

Clear green? Or cloudy green? Clear green could be metal, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Tell us about your pool, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

That was supposed to have back on St Patrick's Day. You're late! Welcome to TFP.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Clear green. The water test showed no metals
    Sandra hannah

5. Back To Top    #5

Sandra, I suspect you have two challenges at this point ... the first is that you are relying on the pool store testing. While that may be convenient and seem to be the best thing to do, I can assure you that it's not. The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) is the foundation of your pool care. Why these kits? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

As for the green, even though the pool store didn't show metals, their testing is not foolproof. When chlorine turns water a clear, emerald green, it's strong indication of metal (iron or copper) either form local sources (i.e. well water) or the use of algaecides that contain copper. Happens all the time.

The starting point in all of this would be to see a full set of test results from one of those recommended test kits. Then we could rule-out algae and give you good directions for metal management if that what it is.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Once you update your signature with your pool info it will also help us to help you diagnose the problem, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you added any algacides to your pool that might contain copper??
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain