Opening Questions

My pool company is opening my pool on Friday. Its only my second season so will be doing it my self eventually but don't have the time to mess with it right now. They sent me this regarding chemicals..

"When we open the pool we like to have 97% shock, 60% algaecide, stain & scale and clarifier. This also depends on how the water looks when we take off the cover.
I think with the new cover, it should open up pretty good. We do carry all chemicals on the service truck for your convenience. "

Id like to have as much here as possible but the 97% shock doesn't seem available online anywhere. Maybe only available in pool stores?

Thanks,
Chuck

Good morning Chuck. I'm afraid their advice is nothing that you would hear from us when opening. But if you have to have someone do it for you, I suppose you're stuck with their ways. The 97% shock is probably nothing more than bleach (liquid shock) - it's all just chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite). Theirs may be 10 or 12%, while regular bleach is often times 8.25%. Still the exact same stuff, just takes a little more. Have a nice day.

If you are not going to do it yourself I would still be telling them that you do not want any algaecide, stain / scale or clarifier.

Your preference is chlorine / bleach only, muriatic aced and stabilizer as required.

Once you spend some time reading the site and getting the proper test kit you will understand and start saving yourself a lot of trouble.

Agreed with Carpenter. Get a test kit (either a K-2006 or a TF-100) from TFTestkits.net , and tell that pool company you want their help with the equipment only - getting it dewinterized and running properly. Tell them you don't want their chemicals, you'll handle that on your own. Meanwhile, as mentioned, get some muriatic acid (I found a local pool company that sells it at a good price, but call around), stabilizer (WalMart is good for this), and 6 gallons or so of plain, no-scent concentrated bleach and have it ready. If you need anything else, you'll have time to get it.

I'd hate for them to put you into a bad situation by dumping random things into your pool with no idea how they'll affect your chemistry for the season. You may end up with metals or algaecides, too much stabilizer, or other mess in there that you don't want.

You know I never thought about that. I worked with a different pool company last year for my water chemistry. I went with this company to get a new cover installed. They came highly recommended and the closing was included. I think what I'll tell them is go ahead and open, fire up the filter and I'll do the chemistry myself. I do have muratic acid on hand from last year and Ill pick up some stabiizer and some bleach ( I assume this is in place of shock?)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.