Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure problems after sand change and opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure problems after sand change and opening

We had our pool company change out the sand in our filter, 2 days later we opened our pool ourselves for the first time. It went well everything seemed to be working. When starting to vacuum winter debris from bottom it just wasn't vacuuming well. It was a little dirtier than usual but my vacuum usually is pretty efficient. I usually don't have to backwash but maybe twice on the opening vacuuming. This time I did it 5 times. Did notice that my psi is running at 20 -25 while in the filter position yet in backwash or rinse it runs 12-15 psi. I'm thinking something is wrong with the sand filter. The service guy says he expected to use 3 - 50 lb bags of sand but put in 4 he also said he only took. He only took out what was dirty as he thought he may not enough sand. Any thoughts?
    40 year old inground pool
    30,000 gallons
    2013 complete renovation
    New piping,one piece fiber glass liner
    New equipment /sandfilter, pump, gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure problems after sand change and opening

Welcome to TFP!

I am not sure what your question is. Everything you wrote sounds pretty normal to me, although there is rarely ever a need to replace sand.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello, the problem is my vacuuming is not working well. My returns are strong. Why is my vacuum not as poweerful? Usually the suction is great, but now this year I had to close 1 of the skimmers and drain to bring the suction strong enough to clean dirt and mostly worms. I was told in the beginning that the psi should be around 12 mine is running 20 - 25. Is that ok?
    40 year old inground pool
    30,000 gallons
    2013 complete renovation
    New piping,one piece fiber glass liner
    New equipment /sandfilter, pump, gas heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe its time to deep clean the sand filter to see what went wrong, here is how, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter. Or have them redo it.

Please add your state or country to your location in your profile so it shows up over there <----, climate is often an important factor when we help you with your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP. As previously stated, you very rarely ever have to change sand from a sand filter unless performing a Baquacil conversion. Deep cleaning is all one should be doing to clean the filter. Sand does not go bad.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter