Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid question

1. Back To Top    #1

Newington, Connecticut

Acid question

In reading a lot of the posts I see that most are adding acid on a regular basis while practicing the top methods. While using tricholor last season I was always increasing ph and alkalinity. I'm finding that I will most likely be doing the same this year while using bleach/ liquid shock for sanatizing. My levels are starting to trend down now that the water temp is increasing. Been raining a lot as well which is probably lowering ph and alkalinity.
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Northern IL

Re: Acid question

Hi, Andrew! Welcome to the new swim season! Not sure what the acid question is...
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Some folks with new plaster pools are often adding acid as their pools "cure". Others who have SWGs may find the process raises their pH so it requires acid to lower.

Trichlor and Dichlor are acidic and were probably keeping your pH lower.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Rain usually raises PH through aeration. Each pool is different and fill water, rain water and evaporation rates vary by region. Lots of folks have high evalopation rates and relatively high TA in their fill water necessitating acid additions as well. In your area with plenty of rain and not all that hot I would not expect your PH to rise as fast, if at all, as someone in the southwest.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach