Above Ground Liner Replacement

May 11, 2011
Hi all, got a question on replacing an above ground liner.

I need to replace the 15yr old liner in my AG pool, Where my pool sits in the yard is in a low spot (it was the only area to fit the pool due to utilities). Normally the yard is dry, except for the spring when the middle is wet due to all the rain we get (Chicago area). My question is this: If the ground outside of the pool is wet and I remove all the water from the pool, that is currently exerting a downward and outward force, will the wet ground affect the pool when I remove the water? I generally dont think it will, but this is something I do not want to chance if there is a possibility. There is currently a sand bottom and I plan on installing a liner pad and preformed cove with the new liner.

Thanks

As long as you don't let the pool sit empty for several days it shouldn't seep very much unless it's standing water. Even if it seeps into the pool area a little as long as it's not standing water it won't really hurt anything.

Thanks. I have the install setup for next Saturday the 28th and plan on draining it on Friday the 27th. Next week looks dry around here, so i should be ok. The pool is an aluminum wall Johnny Weissmuller 52" pool. Is there anything I should look for (pitting, corrosion, etc) on the inside of the walls once the liner is pulled back? If there is would just some simple sanding and some galvanizing paint be ok?

If you're planning on re-filling it the day after you empty it, it should go smoothly.

Definitely go through and check for any signs of corrosion. As long as you're not seeing patches of rust, I think sanding and painting would be all that you need. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Before and after pictures would be great, but that's just because we love pictures!

Good luck.

Hopefully it doesn't rain but as stated by mbuice, get in & out! Good luck! I did an over lap tutorial last year on my brother's pool. You can look for it by clicking on my name & started threads.

Liner was installed today. Here's some before and after pics.

IMG_20160527_193050221(1) (Custom).jpg
Winter cover off and pool draining. It was a shame to drain it as the water was almost clear.

IMG_20160528_114545842 (Custom).jpg
Pool drained and after I pulled the liner away from the wall to check it out, I found some small pinholes in the wall and some small erosion of the wall at the skimmer. Found the pinholes odd, considering the wall is aluminum, but I covered the bigger ones (about the size of a ballpoint pen tip) and around the
skimmer with flashing and gorilla tape. The really small ones just got tape. I sprayed the wall with cold galvanizing spray to cover any holes that were forming. The pool is 15yrs old, so I thought it looked pretty good.

More pics in the next post.

Pictures Pt. 2

IMG_20160528_121515079 (Custom).jpg
Heres the new liner in and filling up. Also got the preformed cove and liner pad for the bottom. Hopefully I can get a decent amount of time out of it before it needs to be replaced.

Now I wait until it fills up and look forward to the giant water bill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.