Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Pump adequate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Pump adequate?

I have an intex ultra rectangular 18x9x52 pool that came with a 1/4 hp pump. Doesn't clean very well. Should I upgrade to a 1/2 hp? Is it easy to switch out?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is intex pump adequate?

I think the biggest improvement is going from the cartridge filter to the sand filter. Seeing the fine dust blow back into the pool via the return used to be very aggravating.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Intex Pump adequate?

Very easy to switch - get the biggest you can afford - and go sand. If your hoses are 1 1/4 you will need a couple of adapters but you should get new hoses with the pump and filter.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

We have the same pool and so far I must say it hasn't been bad - run it 6 hours a day and our water is crystal clear for about 2 weeks now - I do wish it had the power to run a vacuum as I have mentioned in other threads - but the water itself is pretty dang clear!
    Intex 18'x9'x52 - 2800 GPH Sand Filter/Pump - TF100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your suggestions. I already have a sand filter and I run it 6-8 hours a day. It is clear but has very little suction. I've had the pool for a year now. Just installed a hayward through wall skimmer and want a little more suction.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

How does the clean pressure compare with last year? Maybe it is time for a deep clean, here's how, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

The pressure is the same. I also backwash it at least once a month.