Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CYA Test

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Test

I did the CYA test and the tester was filled but I could still see the dot. I'm in Michigan and it's been cold since the pool was filled so the test makes sense from what I've read. Does this mean there's no CYA in the pool?
    Square 19,000 gallon in-ground pool
    cartridge filter
    SWG
    intelliflo vs+svrs
    K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Test

If the water was perfectly clear in the tube then that likely means you have zero cya. If you could just barely still see the. Then you might have cya approaching 20 part per million or so
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is that bad? It's just reached the the 60s during the day for the first time (lol) and it is still 61 but cloudy. I also had no color on a chlorine test, which I assume is bad. Can I just add liquid chlorine to up that? I have a SWG, but I am not sure if it is operating correctly as it had a no flow error for a while and then started again. The water is clear, but I know that is not an indication of the water being where you need it to be. I think need to add chlorine to the pool, is that correct?
    cartridge filter
    SWG
    intelliflo vs+svrs
    K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

You should get some cya dissolving in a sock in front of the return jet up to at least 30 parts per million and definitely add some bleach to get the FC up. The water is likely too cold for the swg to work correctly yet anyways.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sometimes its useful to allow the pool sample water to warm to room temp inside, then after mixing the sample per instructions take it outside to fill the tube with. Best with the sun at your back while holding the tube at waist high level.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, need to add 30 ppm CYA and chlorinate based on the Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep it at target all the time.

And start reading here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the great tips! I think I will start with the CYA and bleach and go from there. Is there an amount of bleach to add to a 19K gal pool, or is it just add until a reading occurs?

Also, could algae be growing in this cold of weather? I assume there could be cold weather algae due to MI weather, but that's a guess based on dealing with MI weather.
    cartridge filter
    SWG
    intelliflo vs+svrs
    K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Assume your CYA is there and aim for the correct FC. Undershoot that CYA addition as a zero reading doesn't necessarily mean you have zero CYA as the test only goes as low as 30. You may have 20 in there...

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know how to use PoolMath?

9. Back To Top    #9

No, i've been reading and looked at it but math and science were not my strong suits lol. Is the correct FC based on pool size? Thanks to everyone for the help this is my first time owning a pool.
    cartridge filter
    SWG
    intelliflo vs+svrs
    K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for talking this out with me. I read the pool math article and see how it works now!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg View Post
    No, i've been reading and looked at it but math and science were not my strong suits lol. Is the correct FC based on pool size? Thanks to everyone for the help this is my first time owning a pool.
    No, your desired FC level is based on how much CYA you have going on in the pool. The more CYA you have requires you to keep a higher FC level. Have you seen the CYA/Chlorine chart in Pool School?
    FC/CYA Chart
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

I am just starting also. Got my tf100 yesterday.
    Go to Pool Math calculator, punch in the gallons and your readings along with goals and then hit calculate at the top.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

13. Back To Top    #13

Dod you figure it out, Nate? Be sure that you put your type of pool as a troublefreepool towards the bottom of the page.

14. Back To Top    #14

I believe I did figure out my steps for upping the CYA and SLAMing the pool. My pH test was yellow though, so I assume there is very low pH and I need to add soda ash from what I'm reading before I being the SLAM. Is that correct?
    cartridge filter
    SWG
    intelliflo vs+svrs
    K-2006

15. Back To Top    #15

Correct. Soda ash or Borax to raise pH. Yellow (low) is no good. For the SLAM, you want it around 7.2 (orange).
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

Did you ever test your TA? If it is on the higher side, use borax instead of soda. If it's low, you can use the soda.

17. Back To Top    #17

I tesed TA and 1 drop turned the sample red so I assume it's low at 10 ppm and need to add soda to up it. I am in the process of getting a pool vacuum and assume I should vacuum first before attempting to alter the levels. This is really helpful and I appreciate all the knowledge!
    cartridge filter
    SWG
    intelliflo vs+svrs
    K-2006

18. Back To Top    #18

Raise TA up to 50 and see how that works for few weeks with PH stability.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

19. Back To Top    #19

Does pH have to be stabilized over a long period to start the SLAM, or do you start once you get the pH reading of 50? My understanding is get pH right, then raise CYA and then bleach.
    cartridge filter
    SWG
    intelliflo vs+svrs
    K-2006

20. Back To Top    #20

I think you have some things mixed up. pH should be about 7.2 for the SLAM. Your CYA (stabilizer) will vary based on how much was added (i.e. 30, 40, 50, etc), then you increase FC based on that CYA level. An ideal example would be a CYA of 30, FC at 12, and pH at 7.2 during a SLAM. Make sense?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast