Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dawn soap

1. Back To Top    #1

Dawn soap

Hi
    Not sure if this is the right spot to post this or not. If not, I'm sorry in advance. My wife was reading tonight about the many things you can use the original Dawn dish detergent for. One of the things said to squeeze it in the middle of the pool and it will cause all the old sun screen and fine dirt that's in the pool to go together and move the the edge of the pool for easy clean up. It also said "plus it will leave the pool extra sparkling". Has anyone ever heard of this before and if you have, has anyone ever tried it?
    Just wondering before I tried myself.
    Mike
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dawn soap

I know this was discussed a few years ago. I think the general consensus was why would you want to put soap in your pool?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Soap is not good to add to the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

The OLD formula of Dawn dish detergent was useful for many things. It was actually kept in the Emergency Room to help wash gas and motor oils off patients. BUT....its not the same anymore. Probably since they removed all the phosphates.

I say you're too late to test the idea. Sorry.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, think with the pool store could have been telling us back in the day. Here add this Dawn soap to your pool. Oh no now your phosphates are too high in your pool. Here buy this $50 bottle of potion to get it back down
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. I was thinking as such. I remember my grandad years ago would buy loads of bottles of dawn (the old original) when ever he visited America as they didn't sell it in Canada.
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired