Refinishing slide

JVTrain

TFP Expert
Feb 3, 2014
Central Minnesota
After getting a quote to repair my slide professionally, $1500, nearly the price of a new one, I've decided to tackle refinishing it myself. Using this thread as a guide and inspiration: Refinishing / Restoring a Fiberglass Pool Slide

My slide is the same or very close to the slide in that thread. The SR Smith Rogue 2 or Grand Rapids. Time to start sanding and getting supplies ordered. Going to be using the Interlux Perfection 2 part epoxy paint as in the inspiration thread. We'll see if I find time to get it done. Pictures to follow of course once I start into it.

I have the same slide that needs to be refinished. The previous owner took the slide down and tossed it down a bank in the woods. I recovered it but have not found any of the supports or ladder. The slide is in perfect condition other than the finish is flaking off. Once you get your slide taken down could you do some measuring on the supports and ladder for me? I honestly have nothing to go by at this point. Look forward to your process as I hope to start on this project later this year.

I actually did measure the supports to maybe cut some lengths of PVC so I could set up the slide in my screen porch. I can post the heights of the posts measured from the pool deck. I was surprised by the ladder. When I took the slide off the supports, the ladder doesn't wiggle, budge at all. There must be at least 6 inches of ladder into the concrete...

After getting a quote to repair my slide professionally, $1500, nearly the price of a new one, I've decided to tackle refinishing it myself. Using this thread as a guide and inspiration: Refinishing / Restoring a Fiberglass Pool Slide

My slide is the same or very close to the slide in that thread. The SR Smith Rogue 2 or Grand Rapids. Time to start sanding and getting supplies ordered. Going to be using the Interlux Perfection 2 part epoxy paint as in the inspiration thread. We'll see if I find time to get it done. Pictures to follow of course once I start into it.

That's awful news. Who did you get the quote from? My slide was in awful shape last year and in my research, I called marine body shops to see if they were interested in some work (With all the water in Minn., they must be fairly prevalent) After all, it's not much different than repairing a fiberglass boat. I had my slide redone for $700.

I actually did measure the supports to maybe cut some lengths of PVC so I could set up the slide in my screen porch. I can post the heights of the posts measured from the pool deck. I was surprised by the ladder. When I took the slide off the supports, the ladder doesn't wiggle, budge at all. There must be at least 6 inches of ladder into the concrete...

That would be awesome if you dont mind. If you could measure the support diameter also? What type of PVC would you use? I figured it would have been steel posts?

That's awful news. Who did you get the quote from? My slide was in awful shape last year and in my research, I called marine body shops to see if they were interested in some work (With all the water in Minn., they must be fairly prevalent) After all, it's not much different than repairing a fiberglass boat. I had my slide redone for $700.

Glad yours worked out well. I think I can do it for about $300 is supplies and my labor of course. You would think there would be a lot of marine places that do hull work around here, but it seems there's not many that do actual refinishing. Lots of dealers and service places but not many fiberglass experts. If I were in the Minneapolis/St. Paul or Duluth areas, there would likely be more resources as those locations have yacht clubs, marinas and more sail boats which makes repair more in demand, I would think.

That would be awesome if you dont mind. If you could measure the support diameter also? What type of PVC would you use? I figured it would have been steel posts?

I was only going to cut lengths of PVC I had laying around to use it as temporary posts to hold it up while resurfacing the slide, rather than doing all the work right by the pool. I'll probably just end up using saw horses and a portable work table I have. I believe the OD of the aluminum? posts is about the same OD as 1.5" PVC, which is about 2 inches but I'll measure exactly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WARNING: MASSIVE PHOTO DUMP AHEAD

Not so sure on the brand of slide anymore even though it looks like the old SR Smith Grand Rapids, the supports are not the same as the pictures I've seen of that slide. Mine has a bent support on the bottom inside curve, where the SR Smith slides have straight vertical supports:
d5bdadb6-00b2-4ee5-962d-cbde3abacecc_zpsztikrh66.jpg

Plus this from the bottom of the slide. Search for Fibre Slide on the internet yields a foreign company, playground slides only:
20160517_170553_zpssbsj5eii.jpg

Here is the supports layout wide view, slide and railing removed:
ebf10cb6-f860-49a4-952a-f3ee6a2d66bc_zpskrtwdb1t.jpg

Photos before power washing... hate my pool decking in that area!
20160513_145408_zpsofrcmlwk.jpg

20160517_170743_zpsfsbambmx.jpg

20160517_170758_zpswu0aebwa.jpg

20160517_170904_zps5vctjodz.jpg

20160517_170929_zpsbp0frrmh.jpg

After some power washing at the top of the slide. The difference is amazing already:
20160517_174718_zpsx8tkhglz.jpg

20160517_182747_zpsu9uansvz.jpg

Problem area on middle center of slide. Some spider-webbing of the topcoat. There are a few chips here about pea size (like in the upper right) where you can see underlying fiberglass but no cracks or breaks:
20160517_182757_zpsotcerelu.jpg

Full view after power wash. Bottom looks a lot better too but forgot to take a picture:
20160517_194133_zpsezhz7fb8.jpg

I have dimensions of posts for joshua, if you still think your slide might be the same. Referencing the third picture in my previous post:
Lower 2 posts are 19 inches apart on center
Shorter bent post is 21" tall from pool deck
Taller bottom post is 24" tall from pool deck
Middle post is 45.5" tall and is 38" on center from the lower, straight, taller post
Ladder is 72" long from pool deck with about 4 inches going into the pocket on the bottom of the slide.
Ladder rails are 2 7/8" x 1" rectangular with a 20" spread.
The OD of the support pipes is 1 7/8" and they are aluminum.

I have dimensions of posts for joshua, if you still think your slide might be the same. Referencing the third picture in my previous post:
Lower 2 posts are 19 inches apart on center
Shorter bent post is 21" tall from pool deck
Taller bottom post is 24" tall from pool deck
Middle post is 45.5" tall and is 38" on center from the lower, straight, taller post
Ladder is 72" long from pool deck with about 4 inches going into the pocket on the bottom of the slide.
Ladder rails are 2 7/8" x 1" rectangular with a 20" spread.
The OD of the support pipes is 1 7/8" and they are aluminum.

Awesome.. Thanks for the dimensions! I know that my slide had straight posts at the bottom as I can see where the bolts were cut off flush on the pool deck. Those numbers will give me a good reference for starting the process. I need to pressure wash mine but from looking at the bottom side I do not see any branding like yours has. keep us posted on the process. Looks like you have very little work to do to get it ready for paint.

Filled some in the bare fiberglass spots on the underside with bondo resin. Sanded and filled the topside chips with 2 part epoxy. Then sanded the whole slide for nearly 2 hours. 80 grit to remove scaling. Probably still more to do in the difficult to sand inside curves.
2f1b270b8900dea25292e8e1bb4670f2.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lots of work on the slide today. Sanded inside curves with a sanding sponge. Skim coated resin on some bare spots of fiberglass on the top. Sanded again with 220 grit over whole slide. Rinsed with water. Washed with soap. Wiped down with acetone. First coat of two-part poly paint.
38e222e2d58cdf5cae2bf0c9391f01a5.jpg

Interlux Perfection in Lauderdale Blue.

First coat was tricky getting used to rolling it on then tipping it off with a brush. Definitely can see where I stopped/started and overlaps.
60a58fe8896c629e7a40860c7013f824.jpg

Not too bad for first coat will do some sanding on the poor paint job spots, then another coat. Only took about a cup of mixed paint to cover whole slide easily.
22436b65c8208daed5f88b6d85ac5fb3.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Got the paint at Jamestown Distributors: Interlux Perfection Using a 3" roller with 1/8" closed cell foam nap. Also using a 2" tapered polyester brush to tip off the rolled paint. I might pick up a badger hair or other natural hair brush for the second coat. Not sure if it will make it easier or get a better finish.

There are EXCELLENT instructions on their website and with the paint on how to apply. Even some youtube videos starting here Interlux Perfection Topside Boat Paint Howto: Introduction - YouTube

I did not apply a primer coat or use any of their thinning agents on the paint. Clean up on brushes is with acetone so wooden handles on brushes is best.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.