Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter for New Pool, and the Current One

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter for New Pool, and the Current One

I got a cheap pool last year to see if we would use it, and we did. We're going to keep it this summer and upgrade to a 6000 gallon pool next year.

I want to get a sand filter so I can stop buying cartridges and dealing with its poor results.

What I'm looking at is a 3000 gph intex pump/filter because it's only 150 on Amazon right now.

So if I install this on my 1700 gallon pool is it going to be too much overkill? I am installing some heating panels, and the stock pump is definitely not up to that job.

So will it work, or is there a better size for 1700-6000 gallons?

Thanks,
    Skymeat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter for New Pool, and the Current One

Welcome to TFP!!!!

You should be able to use the bigger pump and sand filter on your existing pool prior to the upgrade without issue. The filtration will be MUCH better that the terrible cartridges.

As an aside, using a reusable aftermarket cartridge (Filbur, Pleatco, or Unicel ... I can not remember who makes the right size) is much better than the throw away Intex cartridges.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I was just worried about it being a whirlpool mostly, I will install a skimmer at the same time.

How loud are the sand filters? Just generally, should I plan to locate it 20/30 feet away and around the corner?

4. Back To Top    #4

Filter generally do not make any noise ... it is the motor on the pump that makes the noise

I have no idea what any Intex pumps sound like.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!