Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long do you leave your robot and it's caddy inside your pool/outside?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long do you leave your robot and it's caddy inside your pool/outside?

I am a first pool owner and I just bought a dolphin M5. I clean it one day and the next day the bottom has dust and sand at the bottom. It says you can leave it just sitting in the pool and set it to run during the day for at least three days in a row. Do a lot of people tend to do that? I just wonder about it being exposed to the elements here in Michigan. However, I don't like the idea of having to bring out the Caddy hooking it up, putting it in the pool, running it and then puting it away and back in the garage. Does anybody leave ther robot pool cleaner in the pool and if so, for how long? Thanks!
    James

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long do you leave your robot and it's caddy inside your pool/outside?

I have three Dolphins. Two old as dirt Diagnostics that I have at rent houses and a new Premier that I have at my house. In the off season, the rent house dolphins basically stay in the pool for a week until I take them out and clean them and put them back in the pool. Half the time I don't even clean them, just turn them back on. I bought both of them used, one about 10 years ago and one about five years ago. I've had to replace tracks and bearings, but never had to open the motor. I did buy another used one for "parts" and its motor was flooded.

The one I have at my house lives out by the pool. It goes swimming every other night or so and stays in until I pull it out the next day for cleaning. When out of the pool, I just set it on its back (Has little feet) next to the pool. This one is only about a year old. It works fine, but if I was going to buy one today it would be the S300 for the larger basket.

I have no idea if this will shorten their lifespan or not, but it has yet to bother the two older units.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

I take my Triton Plus out of the pool when it is done, clean the filters and store it in my garage. I also keep the power supply dry and out of the sun. Paid like $1100 for this thing and I want it to last as long as possible. Except for when we get Santa Ana winds, I don't get that much debris in the pool so I run the Triton once a week or so.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

I got in the practice of daily cleaning with my old robot. It was a bag-style Maytronics Diagnostic and its performance dropped if the bag had even a small amount of debris in it. With my new s300 the caddy is in a shaded spot, but it's not rainproof. I don't want to risk the power supply spending a night in the rain so it makes more sense for me to replace it in the shed after each use. It takes about a minute to retrieve it from the shed and a minute to put it back, not a big deal.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for everyone's input!
    James

6. Back To Top    #6

I clean my pool every couple days or so, more when its windy blowing junk in the pool. I take mine out , clean the filters, and put it back in its storage room every time it gets used. Is an M500 and stupid expensive and like Gary300 above I want it to last a while1
    Pool... IG 16,500 gal fiberglass, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair Superflow 1 speed pump, Pentair control box, Installed 4/2015, Test strips! HA! ;-), SWG, hot tub (spa) freestanding on deck, fill it from my well, sometimes through my water softener. Oh, and a HydroNet radio control leaf skimmer boat! AND... A brand spankin new Dolphin M500 robot! ;-)