Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Home Water Test - what's the order of adding chem

1. Back To Top    #1

First Home Water Test - what's the order of adding chem

Hi Everyone,

I did my first water test using the LaMotte ColorQ7. Here's my first numbers:

test
    now
    target
    resolve
    fcl/tcl 1.87/2.03 1 none
    ph 7.2 7.5 25 oz weight washing soda
    aly 142 90 none
    ch 132 300 add 197 oz calcium chloride
    cya 16 40 33 oz of stabilizer

My pool is a 21' round vinyl AGP. So which stuff do I add first? and how long before I add the next item.

Thanks everyone!
    10,400 Gallons AGP - Installed 5/2/16, Waterway Clearwater II Cartridge Swimming Pool Filter, Malibu 2 Speed 1.5hp Pump, K-2006, Rheem P-M266

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Home Water Test - what's the order of adding chem

Hi! Chlorine should be first and you need some. CYA next, but aim for 30 only. Don't add the washing soda. Your pH is fine until we know how your water looks. Besides, if you wanted to raise it, you should use borax, not washing soda. The soda will raise your TA too. No need to worry about CH until you get that heater. . How does your water look?

- - - Updated - - -

Your target is 3ppm FC with your CYA of 20.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks @MarianParoo. It's my first pool and it's been 3 weeks since it was filled.
    As for chrlorine, I'm using the pool frog system. I have it set to 4.
    For CYA, I should put it in a sock and keep it by the skimmer?
    My water is clear.IMG_3400.jpg
    10,400 Gallons AGP - Installed 5/2/16, Waterway Clearwater II Cartridge Swimming Pool Filter, Malibu 2 Speed 1.5hp Pump, K-2006, Rheem P-M266

4. Back To Top    #4

Yay! Put the sock in the skimmer. That's probably easiest. Remember to undershoot your dosage. Can you empty the frog?

5. Back To Top    #5

I could empty the frog and just use itt when i go out of town or something. Dow you think a SWG is worth it?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, SWG makes life easier. No more buying and hauling bleach and adding every day or two. And, of course, no worrying about adding more CYA to your pool.

Are you using multiple devices to post? Make sure the show sig box is checked on each one. Once checked it will stay checked.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I personally don't have a SWG. Most people that do, love them. I don't mind testing and adding chlorine and I vacation at home in our swim season. A new heater last fall tapped my pool budget...

8. Back To Top    #8

I bought a 25lb bucket of dichlor before i fiund this site. Can i use that to raise my FC and CYA. Once i get my CYA to 20-30 then use liquid chlorine?

9. Back To Top    #9

Did you ever add that CYA?
    Have you opened the bucket of dichlor? If not, can you return it?

- - - Updated - - -

I realize that I didn't answer your question, but my reply depends on your answer... Also, what are your current test results?

10. Back To Top    #10

I haven't added the CYA yet. It's at 22 right now. I've opened the dichlor and used it to increase the cya to the current level.

11. Back To Top    #11

That's fine! I am a dichlor user myself. You just need to understand that using it affects several variables at once. As for the frog, what pool frog do you have? Almost always they add chemicals that we feel are bad for pools. For vacations, there are safer alternatives.