Bonjour from New Orleans!

May 1, 2016
New Orleans, LA
First - I would like to thank everyone for your thorough posts on pool building and everything that goes along with it! I have been reading like a mad woman and am sucking up every bit of info I can. I love how helpful and cordial everyone seems to be, so thank you.

Secondly - I'll start with a quick background on our project and why we decided to go the route we chose...when my oldest son was 4, we got an Intex easy up frame pool for him to swim around. We soon found ourselves getting in the pool with him, to just chill out. The following summer, we decided to "upgrade" to a 16' round pool with the sturdier frame. We soon found ourselves upgrading to a sand filter with saltwater and then a nicer ladder with a small deck.

Fast forward to a Florida beach vacation we just took last weekend -- went with one of our friends who is an architect and he was showing us a video of a pool that was made out of concrete blocks. So, being DIY people, my husband and I said..."We can do that!"

I soon found TFP forum and did lots of reading. We measured, drew out where we want the pool, came up with a size, a design and priced out everything. Then...we decided to price out having Gunite shot and paying for the rebar forming. I am planning to apply for my swimming pool permit this week, and also a permit for the dumpster (for the dirt). We have the excavator lined up (and we will be renting and doing the dig ourselves - and I'm REALLY excited about that part!). As soon as we get 1 more quote for the Gunite, we will make our decision.

So...the specs on the pool - 24' x 12' and I'm trying to decide the depth (4, 4.5?); I want a 1 level pool. I live in the Uptown are of New Orleans (4 blocks from the Mississippi River), and we have a typical city lot - 30' wide, so the pool will pretty much take up the backyard - and we are totally fine with that. We rarely use the backyard since it's hot as ---- down here.

I don't want a diving board. I have 2 boys (9 y/o and 4.5 y/o) who have lots of friends that come over. We have our group of friends that come over for drinks on the porch every Friday. Now it will be drinks in the pool...so I think I also need a pool bench for enjoying cocktails in the pool, right?

I plan to post lots of pics, and ask a lot of questions. I can't wait - we're so excited and eager to get started!!!