Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with possible stains on pebble finish

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with possible stains on pebble finish

New to forum. Have a one year old pool and see a lot of blotchy look on bottom of pool and edges where wall meets bottom. Not sure whether this is dirt staining or metal staining. I manage the water myself and have never tested positive for metals. I do have small copper scuppers. I did not know to use a metal sequestration product until now. Not sure the pool builder used in the beginning. Just looking for advice where to start to test stains. I notice a product online called Jack's magic stain test. Was thinking about trying that but wanted to learn more from others. Not really sure a one year old pool should have stains already. Thanks for help.

Current stats
    Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe (Greyish pebble finish)
    pH: 7.4
    Total Alkalinity: 100
    Hardness: 225
    Chlorine: 3-5ppm
    CYA: 80
    Copper: 0
    Iron: 0
    TDS: 900
    Phosphates: 350
    Temperature: 80

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Need help with possible stains on pebble finish

Welcome to the forum.

Can you post a picture?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Other things can contribute to copper staining as well; algaecide, mineral/ion/copper systems, copper heat exchangers and PH under 7.0.

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

This article might help you diagnose the problem, Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems

This stain ID kit might also help, Jacks Magic Stain Identification Kit JMSTAINID at Sunplay
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Attached photos. Really do not do it justice due to glaring and grey bottom. Let me know if this helps at all. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool Size: 32,000 Gal (AG)
    Pentair DE 60 Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Pump for Waterfall, Pentair Pump for Spa Water Edge
    Pool filled with tap water

5. Back To Top    #5

BTW - I also add a weekly dose if Natural Chemistry (Pool Perfect + Phosfree) to reduce phospates. I have an Ozone system on my pool as well and notice that when I add the Pool Perfect it gets sucked into the ozone area and distributed on the surface of the pool in bubbles around the return jet. It quickly goes away. it is a brown liquid and I wondered if it had anything to do with the discoloration.
    Pool Size: 32,000 Gal (AG)
    Pentair DE 60 Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Pump for Waterfall, Pentair Pump for Spa Water Edge
    Pool filled with tap water

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think pool perfect contains copper so probably not. Hard to tell from the pics. See if the article on plaster problems helps.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach