Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raypak Heater won't ignite

1. Back To Top    #1

Raypak Heater won't ignite

Raypak 2100, the old big green heater with what looks like a robertshaw ignition. I tried to warm the spa yesterday and it didn't get warm, so i checked and I could hear/smell gas but the thing wasn't hot. Where should I start checking?
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raypak Heater won't ignite

Did you get any error messages on the panel? This heater should lock out (ILO on the panel) if it tries to light three times but is unsuccessful.
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Do you have the electronic spark ignition unit or the millivolt unit?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

i only have 4 lights, 2 green and 2 red. when the pump primes and flow is going, both green lights are lit. i think it believes it is started, but it really isn't.

also, where is the pilot light? if i take off the front cover i couldn't see it anywhere. is it lit 24/7 or does it only light on demand, then fire up the burners?

i dont know about electronic spark or milivolt. would pics help?
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by isriam View Post
    i only have 4 lights, 2 green and 2 red. when the pump primes and flow is going, both green lights are lit. i think it believes it is started, but it really isn't.

also, where is the pilot light? if i take off the front cover i couldn't see it anywhere. is it lit 24/7 or does it only light on demand, then fire up the burners?

i dont know about electronic spark or milivolt. would pics help?
    When you open the unit up, look inside for a label and it will give you a model # or you can take a picture of it and post it here.

Knowing if you have a millivolt unit or the electronic spark system will determine where to start.

BTW, if you still smell gas turn the gascock on your line coming into the unit for now.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg

also, when i turn it on the lights go green, and i hear it click and then a repeated clicking like constant. i think the loud click is the igniter, not sure what the constant quieter clicking is unless its gas ticking. i turned off the main valve.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I wouldn't go any further with this unit. I can see the floor of the unit is rusted thru. It also sounds like you might have a board issue as well.

This unit was made in 1998 and probably put into service that year as well. It's lived a good life and now time for replacement.
    Paul

8. Back To Top    #8

i was afraid of that. its worked great for me for the 3 years that i've owned the house, but we are putting it on the market this week to sell, and now the heater doesn't work. do you suggest replacing it with another 400k btu? or are newer heaters much more effecient? It is a 13k pool with a small hot tub attached.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Yeah I doubt a home inspector would pass that. You can surely get by with a smaller unit. A Raypak 266K would work good.
    Paul

10. Back To Top    #10

it failed my initial home inspection but i had the homeowner kick in 1200 towards replacement cost and had no problems running it for 3 years.

11. Back To Top    #11

what kind of prices should i expect? amazon looks to be about 1800 for the 266k btu and 2k for the 336k btu. I figure i can get it installed in the DFW area for about 300?

Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Prices are all over the place and surely if you purchase from a local company and have them install it, price will be way more than online. Remember, many companies want a professional install or they won't cover anything under warranty.
    Paul

13. Back To Top    #13

Can You tell me if any of the newer models like 266k or 336k heaters are direct replacements of my old one?. I would llike to do a self install.

14. Back To Top    #14

are you well versed and/or trained in a large gas appliance install? If not, it's an accident waiting to happen. I did install mine myself and learned a great deal along the way. I did have my father in law who works for a fuel and electric company there helping me too(yes, he is licensed). It gave my confidence, and he helped with things I had questions with..and more importantly could TEST everything before it was put into service full time.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by isriam View Post
    it failed my initial home inspection but i had the homeowner kick in 1200 towards replacement cost and had no problems running it for 3 years.
    You might need to change some of the gas line, shorter/longer, but the unions for the headers are the same and the electric might reach. On our older one the electric does come in lower but if there is enough slack you might be able to get it to reach where the newer ones electric is at.

If you are not sure on the gas then I would find someone to do that part.

Also keep in mind about the warranty and that manufactures want licensed installers to install it because of the warranty.
    Paul

16. Back To Top    #16

Yea the gas line is low and electric is about the middle. There's plenty of slack on electric but im mostly worried about the gas. Anyone have an installer in dfw that would do it for about 300?