repairing water line tile help

dknyc1

May 12, 2009
The water line tile in pool is falling off in some areas - I have all of the tiles that came off & due to money being tight this summer I would like to reafixx them, rather than redo all the tile this year.

What kind of adhesive should be used & how long will it take to cure?

Thanks

Well..... before I could get around to repair job, yesterday my daughter went in pool for 1st time & like 30 tiles fell in.

I think its time to bite the bullet & have all waterline tile replaced.

Anyone know what this should cost?
I believe me pool guy said $2400.
He said he would lower the water a bit, do the job in 1 day & then it would be about a week before we could use the pool again.

I did a rough measurement of the pool last night & it is approx 100-125 foot in perimeter.

Anyone have a recommendation for someone to do this job in Northern NJ.

I would like to do it right away.

I added 2 pics of the pool - 1 shows almost the entire pool & 1 shows a area where tiles fell off.

Thanks

Attachments

• pool pics 5-2009 005.jpg
    pool pics 5-2009 005.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 379
  • pool pics 5-2009 012.jpg
    pool pics 5-2009 012.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 374
That's alot of money! I am by no means an expert when it comes to pool tile installers, but I'm just basing this on tiling work in general - we just did our kitchen backsplash ourselves. Tile workgenerally is a very simple DIY project, and provided you have the correct materials for pools, would you consider doing it yourself? To save a few thousand, I know I would try to figure out a way. Are your tiles salvagable? Or does this quote include removing of the tiles that have not come loose?

On a related note - pool wise....will you be able to circulate/filter the water thru a bottom drain/returns while the water level is lowered?

Here is a little update -
I had bought the adhesive & planned to do the repair, BUT, the first time my daughter went in the pool many, many more tiles came off, SO, we have decided to have all tiles removed & replaced.

I have spoken with 3 different companies so far.

#1 - Mentioned he will fix & reset any loose coping as well as do the job.
Water will not be removed from pool - just lowered 6" or so.
$2300 complete including materials

#2 - My regular pool guy - he does my opening & closing & is good with equip repairs - not very chatty & sort of old school with technology.
He is very cheap for open / close.
He said around $2400 Water will not be removed from pool - just lowered 6" or so.
Didnt mention coping
I just bought the house 2 years ago & got him because the previous owner told me he has used him for 13 years & knows my system well.

#3 - Big pool renovation company - coming Tues p.m. to give estimate
He seemed quite knowledgable
He said you definitely want to drain ALL water from the pool - then he will reset all loose coping, & do tile job in 1-2 days & then refill pool which will take 1-2 days.
He said if you dont drain pool it would be sloppy job from someone doing tiling upside down from above - he also warned of all old mortar etc getting into water. Of course he may be much more expensive.

I sort of want to stick with my guy only because I think he would be offended if I went elsewhere.

What are your thoughts?

Hi!
I would have chosen the third alternative myself. The hard part is to get the tile not to slip down and doing that upside down could cause problems imho.

As FPM said this is a very doable job for someone how is somewhat use doing things with his hands.
Drain the pool, after you removed the tile use a grinder to remove old grout but also to make marks on the surface to improve the bonding of the tile. Mix the tile fix a little stiffer to prevent the tile from slipping down. Fix shall be applied both on the wall and on the tile this is something that should be done everytime tile is mounted outside and dont forget to prime the surface after the grinding.
Simple as that :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.