Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair IC40 Cell Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair IC40 Cell Issues

Before I replace this thing I figured I'd ask the experts here at TFP. Pentair was very little help given the cruddy 1 Year Warranty.

My cell has been working great since it was installed in October of 2013 until this weekend. Now, the only light that is lit is the salt light which is red. I've checked my salt multiple times, and it's around 3800ppm - so that's obviously not an issue. Usually when it starts up, it flashes green/red for a couple minutes, but it doesn't do that anymore either. The salt light goes on/off when I turn on/off my pump, but that's it. I've tried cutting all the power to the system (via the circuit breakers), and I've checked to make sure everything is good in the power center (light is on, fuse is fine, etc.). I've also checked the wires that run from the cell to the flow sensor which are all fine too.

Can you guys think of anything else I could try to get this thing working again before I just spend the $600 to get a new one?

Thanks in advance!
    15k in-ground pool and spa || Dark Blue PebbleSheen Finish || Pentair DE Filter || Pentair VS+SVRS Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair IC40 Cell Issues

This guy had the same problems, IntelliChlor add salt red light is on with plenty of salt.

I would try that to see if it works for your SWG.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    This guy had the same problems, IntelliChlor add salt red light is on with plenty of salt.

I would try that to see if it works for your SWG.
    I came across that thread this morning too. I'll try cleaning it again, but my guess is that his cell had other lights on in addition to the red salt light (i.e. the ones that show the % of power, flow, etc.). I can't imagine why a dirty cell would cause all the lights to go out. I had a problem similar to the one he mentioned, and it ended up being the flow sensor not picking up the correct salt levels. Salt levels tested correctly, but that red light never changed.
    15k in-ground pool and spa || Dark Blue PebbleSheen Finish || Pentair DE Filter || Pentair VS+SVRS Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The cells are calculated for 70 or 72 degree and wont produce chlorine until that point or close to it.

Test manually for salt with strips and see what the actual reading is to start with..
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by blakeusa View Post
    The cells are calculated for 70 or 72 degree and wont produce chlorine until that point or close to it.

Test manually for salt with strips and see what the actual reading is to start with..
    That's 100% not true regarding the temperatures, and I have checked it with salt strips multiple times.

6. Back To Top    #6

The IC40 shuts off at 59f. Mine is weird with salt levels with water temp below 70-72. Works fine otherwise. I am starting season 5 with it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

There is a sensor switch (PN 520736 for an IC60 )inside your SWG per Pentair I spoke to them about my unit last week. About $90 and easy install... So could that be bad vs the whole cell? worth a try. I was also told to reset my unit - but the Pool company who installed it came out and replaced the unit. I have a post about that "a whole other issue" IC60 vs IC40. hope that helps a little
    12/2012; 16K Gal. IG PebbleTec, Pool w/Spa attached, Pump Sta-Rite IntelliPro 4speed VS 3050 160gpm, Cartridge Filters Sta-Rite S8M150 450SqFt, Pentair IC60 SWCG, Turbo System 20 In Floor PopUp Heads Cleaner, Zodiac Auto Cover, Pentair EasyTouch 8 Controls & Screen Logic Interface w/APP for phone remote access, InterFab Slide, FiberOptic perimeter lites, TestKit TF100!!! The BEST & the Taylor Speed Stir - A MUST HAVE!!!