Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 CYA test - Correct filling of bottle

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

TF-100 CYA test - Correct filling of bottle

My high school chemistry teacher always taught that when reading the fluid level in a piece of lab equipment, to read from the bottom of the meniscus of the fluid. That works great for the graduated cylinders in the TF-100, but when it comes to the mixing bottle for CYA, when adding reagent to the top of the label, by the time the bottom of the meniscus is at the top of the label, the top of the meniscus is way up into the conical part of the bottle. Is that correct? it looks weird.

I can take pictures if nobody knows what I am talking about. This shows how to read lab equipment correctly: Meniscus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: TF-100 CYA test - Correct filling of bottle

It's not overly critical how much reagent you add to the top. Just as long as it's full up near the top of the label, bottle.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Long Beach, CA

Re: TF-100 CYA test - Correct filling of bottle

I've worked around this a couple of ways.

The way I do it now is to add 10ml of water and 10ml of reagent from cylinders to the mixing CYA bottle and shake it for 30 seconds. This way saves a little bit of reagent and I don't need all that much because my pool's CYA is usually 50-80.

The second way that I have used; I marked the mixing CYA bottle with a line that was equal to the 14ml of fluid. The label on my mixing bottle came off after a couple of uses so I just used the label residue as the guide for the line.

All that you are after is an equal amount of test water and reagent mixed together.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process