Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure Gauge Stuck at 20

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure Gauge Stuck at 20

Thank you everyone for all of the invaluable information on this site. Thanks to you I was able to e comfortable maintaining my new-to-me pool and am now trying to open it using this method for the first time ever.

We are starting the year with a handful of small issues. The most puzzling to me is the pressure gauge.

When the pump is off, the pressure reads 20. It is like it zero'd itself out at 20. It was like that all winter and I didn't notice. We started our pump up this weekend and it now takes the 20 as it's starting point and goes up from there, essentially maxing out the gauge.

Can I fix this? Or do I need to buy a new gauge? This one was brand new last year and seems to me like they should last for more than one season.
    In-Ground pool: 10,000 gallon / vinyl liner /
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter / Hayward H-series heater
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure Gauge Stuck at 20

I just noticed min will not read less than 5psi now, was new also. I think I am going to order one they recomend here from TFtestkits.net.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

Many of them are junk and will not last a winter stored outdoors.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like a new one is my way to go. Thanks for the quick replys!
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll be happy with the gauge from tftestkits if you get the glycerine filled one. More reliable than the empty gauges and mine survived the winter here when I was testing it's durability. No I didn't forget it outside...

But bringing it inside in the winter is a better idea, even with a glycerine filled gauge.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

The pressure gauges seem to be the item that breaks down most often when it comes to pools. Even though we've an indoor pool, meaning that the gauge is never exposed to the elemnts, we've had to replace it a couple of times. It's as if they can't stand the chlorinated water for very long - soon they get stuck and won't return to zero any more.
    Indoor pool appr. 27'x13'x5', rectangular, concrete pool with epoxi coating, Sand filter with 1.5 hp pump, Electric heater + heat pump, Automatic system for chlorine and acid
    2 lights, 300 W each

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Linn View Post
    The pressure gauges seem to be the item that breaks down most often when it comes to pools. Even though we've an indoor pool, meaning that the gauge is never exposed to the elemnts, we've had to replace it a couple of times. It's as if they can't stand the chlorinated water for very long - soon they get stuck and won't return to zero any more.
    Have you used an glycerine filled gauge yet or only air gauges?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

I had absolutely no idea that I should have taken some of this into the house. The seals probably wouldn't be leaking now either if they'd come in the basement instead of sitting there freezing.
    TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Have you used an glycerine filled gauge yet or only air gauges?
    I'm not sure what the original one was - it was filled with a liquid, but I don't know whether that could have been glycerine or if it was just pool water that had leaked through. The others have been standard air ones.
    Indoor pool appr. 27'x13'x5', rectangular, concrete pool with epoxi coating, Sand filter with 1.5 hp pump, Electric heater + heat pump, Automatic system for chlorine and acid
    2 lights, 300 W each