Advice on who to call to replace a gas line - contractor or plumber?

Nov 2, 2015
San Diego, CA
Hello all,

Yesterday as I was backwashing my DE filter, I took a look at my equipment and noticed that the gas line entering the heater was rusting. The rust is forming right after it comes up from the concrete. It seems to be pooling water in that area and has been for 10 years at least (we are new owners).

Who should I call - a plumber or a contractor? I believe it is going to require breaking up the concrete to get access to the pipe.

Thank you.
Chris

Pictures added.
20160516_100757.jpg20160516_100830.jpg

You my actually want to call your gas company 1st, I moved into my current house about 6 months ago and about 2nd week there I could smell gas around my pool heater. Called So Cal gas and because it was a "leak" they sent someone the same day and he replaced a piece of the pipe coming out of the ground going into the heater for free. I know you dont have a leak, but it maybe a good starting point.

got any photos of the rusted line?

without seeing it and assuming its not too bad, i'd say wire brush and paint it with rust inhibitor paint the level off or build up the concrete with some self leveling epoxy or cement. $20-30 fix.

got any photos of the rusted line?

without seeing it and assuming its not too bad, i'd say wire brush and paint it with rust inhibitor paint the level off or build up the concrete with some self leveling epoxy or cement. $20-30 fix.

I will get some photos in the next couple of hours. I like the idea of building up concrete around it. A description without pictures is worthless but I think it's pretty bad. The coating has bubbled and is flaking off.

Thank you!
Chris

Since that appears to be a 1-1/4" line I'm guessing that you have a high volume, low pressure Regulator at your gas meter. A low pressure high volume will be a large regulator (like 12" in diameter), where as a high pressure regulator will be about 1/2 that size (the high pressure regulator is typically installed closer to the heater as well). If it is truly a low pressure regulator then the pressure going through the line is in inches of water (less than 1 psi), which requires very little thickness to hold the pressure. Do you have an isolation valve available, if a leak were to develop? If so, then I would do as ibreslin posted, wire brush it clean, check for leaks with soapy water, and then re-paint. If it is a high pressure line, then you are better off letting the gas company check it.

It is probably worth checking on, but remember gas pipes are built with relatively thick walls and generally operate at very low pressure so can safely operate even with substantial amount of rust on the exterior.

Thanks for all the replies. The gas company was out here today because it was a "dangerous" situation. The tech told me to wire brush and paint. It was caught early enough.

You guys were pretty spot on with the recommemdations! Thanks!
Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.