Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on who to call to replace a gas line - contractor or plumber?

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice on who to call to replace a gas line - contractor or plumber?

Hello all,

Yesterday as I was backwashing my DE filter, I took a look at my equipment and noticed that the gas line entering the heater was rusting. The rust is forming right after it comes up from the concrete. It seems to be pooling water in that area and has been for 10 years at least (we are new owners).

Who should I call - a plumber or a contractor? I believe it is going to require breaking up the concrete to get access to the pipe.

Thank you.
    Chris

Pictures added.
    20160516_100757.jpg20160516_100830.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice on who to call to replace a gas line - contractor or plumber?

You my actually want to call your gas company 1st, I moved into my current house about 6 months ago and about 2nd week there I could smell gas around my pool heater. Called So Cal gas and because it was a "leak" they sent someone the same day and he replaced a piece of the pipe coming out of the ground going into the heater for free. I know you dont have a leak, but it maybe a good starting point.
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

got any photos of the rusted line?

without seeing it and assuming its not too bad, i'd say wire brush and paint it with rust inhibitor paint the level off or build up the concrete with some self leveling epoxy or cement. $20-30 fix.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ibreslin View Post
    got any photos of the rusted line?

without seeing it and assuming its not too bad, i'd say wire brush and paint it with rust inhibitor paint the level off or build up the concrete with some self leveling epoxy or cement. $20-30 fix.
    I will get some photos in the next couple of hours. I like the idea of building up concrete around it. A description without pictures is worthless but I think it's pretty bad. The coating has bubbled and is flaking off.

Thank you!
    Chris

5. Back To Top    #5

Images added. I have two more to add but my attachment limit was reached. More to come. Any advice is appreciated.

Chris

6. Back To Top    #6

Since that appears to be a 1-1/4" line I'm guessing that you have a high volume, low pressure Regulator at your gas meter. A low pressure high volume will be a large regulator (like 12" in diameter), where as a high pressure regulator will be about 1/2 that size (the high pressure regulator is typically installed closer to the heater as well). If it is truly a low pressure regulator then the pressure going through the line is in inches of water (less than 1 psi), which requires very little thickness to hold the pressure. Do you have an isolation valve available, if a leak were to develop? If so, then I would do as ibreslin posted, wire brush it clean, check for leaks with soapy water, and then re-paint. If it is a high pressure line, then you are better off letting the gas company check it.
    20,500 gallon free form, 6X9 hot tub w/ spillover, 18" jumping platform w/ 3ft shear descent on chopped rock, Travertine coping, 2.5HP Hayward 2-speed filter pump, 525 Hayward Cartridge filter, 350K BTU Hayward NG Heater, 2HP Hayward water feature pump, Satin Matrix Northshore Carribbean, Jandy PDS-8 Controls

7. Back To Top    #7

It is probably worth checking on, but remember gas pipes are built with relatively thick walls and generally operate at very low pressure so can safely operate even with substantial amount of rust on the exterior.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the replies. The gas company was out here today because it was a "dangerous" situation. The tech told me to wire brush and paint. It was caught early enough.

You guys were pretty spot on with the recommemdations! Thanks!
    Chris