Help! Recommend Robot Vac for L-Shaped Pool with Wrinkles

May 17, 2015
Washington il
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking to purchase our first robotic vacuum and would like recommendations on the types to consider for our pool. We have a 32k pool with vinyl liner. Many wrinkles in the pool. Some up to 1/2" tall and pointy. Mostly concerned about the robot getting stuck on a wrinkle or with the robot damaging the liner.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thank you!

A robot might not be your best answer because of the wrinkles. The only way to know is to try it out with the clear understanding it can be returned at minamal cost to you.

You have a large pool so bigger is better for robots and the bigger robots will tend to have bigger wheels and parts that may help them clear obstacles.

I don't think you can adequately predict the performance without trying it out.

I have tried a few robotic cleaners on my pool and this is how they performed. I first started off with the Polaris 9300 cleaner this is a 2 wheel drive cleaner and it constantly got stuck on my steps. I spoke with Polaris - Zodiac and they said I needed the Polaris 9400 Robotic cleaner as it had 4 wheel drive and would be able to handle my steps easier. The Polaris 9400 4 wheel drive model did in fact work good on the steps, however the motor on the cleaner went bad after roughly 15 months so from a longevity stand point I was not happy with that (I may have just been a lucky one as far as the early failure on the motor). I then went with the Dolphin Nautilus Cleaner and have been using it for 3 years and I have been happy with it, it does a good job of cleaning my entire pool which is 45' x 25'. I like that it uses cartridges as they are easier to clean then bags and they filter out smaller debris. The only issue I have with the Dolphin Nautilus is that periodically when I press the power button on the power supply the cleaner does not turn on, I then unplug the cord and plug it back in and the cleaner works fine (this process takes 10 seconds but still a little annoying at times). The fact that your pool is L shaped and the liner has wrinkles will make it a demanding pool for any robotic cleaner. You may want to contact Dolphin - Maytronics directly to see if they can give you a recommendation for a cleaner as they have waaaaay tooooo many models to memorize them all, make sure to mention the L shape and the wrinkles. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.