Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light green cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Light green cloudy water

Hi new here. I opened my pool this year to find it a complete swamp. I have never had this happen before in the 5 years I have owned the pool. The pool is a free form fiberglass pool. 36 x 16(at the widest), sun shelf, 6 foot deep in the deep end. I am guessing its around 15,000 gallons. I have managed to turn the water from a swamp to a light green cloudy color. I just ordered the TF-100 test kit today. While waiting for the test kit, would you advise that I raise the chlorine level? All of my test numbers appear in the normal range using test strips I have (I do not have exact numbers with me). I need to make this pool clear and swimmable by 5/28 for a Memorial Day party. You can see the progression thus far. This has taken two weeks and the filter is running 24/7 and is backwashed every couple of days. Thanks for your help!

15,000 gal
    2 hp pump
    Hayward Sand filter
    Hayward 250 heater

Pool 1.jpgPool 2.jpgPool 3.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light green cloudy water

Hello and nice to have you with us! Really not much specific you can do until the test kit arrives, but perhaps add about 1/2 gallon of bleach each day. I wouldn't do much of anything else other than sweep & brush just to keep the algae from getting too comfortable. Once you get the test kit, post a full suite of numbers for us. That's when you'll be ready to take some real action.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

You have come a long way already, but have a ways to go. Yes, keep the chlorine level up - but without knowing the CYA level we can't say how high is right. Plus, until you get the TF-100 you won't know the true FC level.

First, don't backwash on a schedule, but only when the pressure rises 20-25%.

Just understand, there is no magic. While 12 days is generally sufficient time, it can take longer.

Here is what you will be doing: SLAM
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

My gauge on my filter does not work well. I will get a new one and keep a better track of the pressure. Would adding some DE to the filter be a good idea, or is it way to early for any of that? Thanks again for all the help. I will get test numbers as soon as the TF-100 gets here. On my test strips, the CYA looks to be in the 30 range (little hard to tell with the strips though).

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If it were me I would buy a cheap gauge today from the pool store and order the nice one TFTestkits.net. The difference in the TFKits one and the pool store are amazing.

I would not add DE until I had a gauge.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Tftestkits sells really nice pressure gauges for the same price as the junky ones you likely will find locally.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Way too early for DE, but later it may help with the final push to clear the water. Give TF Testkits a call and have them add a pressure gauge to your order. They stock the nice glycerin filled gauges that only read to 30, so you can really see 1lb pressure changes.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

I will make sure to get the good pressure gauge! Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like its starting to get better. I have been adding bleach until my TF100 kit arrives.

10. Back To Top    #10

Water is still blue, but very cloudy. I am still adding bleach. Hoping my TF100 test kit arrives today. Is the cloudiness a good sign?

Here is what it looked like this morning.

Here is what it normally looks like. (That's a mosaic NHRA drag racing tree in the shallow end).

11. Back To Top    #11

The cloudiness is good. It means some of the algae is dying. But once you get the TF-100 you'll be able to adjust levels with pinpoint accuracy. You'll have that water to its original clarity in no time.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    The cloudiness is good. It means some of the algae is dying. But once you get the TF-100 you'll be able to adjust levels with pinpoint accuracy. You'll have that water to its original clarity in no time.
    That is great news as I have a Memorial Day party on the 28th and I'm getting worried I won't be able to have the pool ready in time.

13. Back To Top    #13

Love that Christmas tree!! How's your reaction time with diving starts? haha Please post a full timeslip when you get back in the pool.
    ~Chris - 20,000 gallons free-form gunite / Pebbletec, Aquapure 1400 SWG, 2 HP Jandy VS Main Pool Pump, 2 HP Jandy Water feature Pump, 580 Jandy cartridge filter, Dolphin M500, TF-100 w/Speedstir.

14. Back To Top    #14

With the water looking cloudy is DE a good idea into the sand filter at this point? My TF100XL kit arrived today along with my glycerin filled pressure gauge. I will post test results when I get home from work, hopefully the rain holds off.

15. Back To Top    #15

I would wait on the DE until the very end of the SLAM. Let's see those test results, let you get that gauge in place, and we'll hold the DE for later if needed.

16. Back To Top    #16

I got my tf 100 test kit.

CYA 50
    FC 30
    CC 1
    TC 31
    CH 275
    TA 190

I didn't bother with PH since the chlorine level is so high. Recommendations?

17. Back To Top    #17

Very good! So now we know the FC needs to come down a bit to 20. The sun will handle that. 20 is your key SLAM number. It would be nice to know your pH, but of course we can't tell when the FC is so high. But you're on your way now with TF-100 accuracy.

18. Back To Top    #18

I backwashed the filter and installed the new pressure gauge as well. It's 16 psi when pulling just from the main drains and 20psi when pulling from the main drains and skimmer. I will be adding some water tonight from the backwashing which will also lower the FC some. I will run another test before work in the morning. The fiberglass now has a yellow look to it, is that from having the chlorine level to high? Thanks for the help!

19. Back To Top    #19

If you have Metals in the water yes having an FC to high could pull them out of the water and put them on the walls.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

After adding water from backwashing last night I checked levels this morning.

FC = 27
    CC = 1.5
    TC = 28.5

I will check again when I get home from work tonight. Pool still looks very cloudy, just like the picture yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast