Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Speed Stir Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Speed Stir Question

Hey all,
    New to the forum and learning every day. This may a stupid question, but here goes.

Is there any reason not to let the speed stir run for the entirety of a test?

In other words, say for a FC test I am taking the 10ml sample, dropping in the magnet, putting in the scoop of powder and then stirring and letting it run constantly when dropping in the reagent to see how may drops to clear.

Is there any reason i should add drop stir and stop, add drop stir and stop?

TIA

Tim
    - 30,000 gallon (16'x40' - 10' at deep end) gunite
    - Sta-Rite DE 60 sq/ft filter
    - AquaCal Heatpump (broken...)
    - new to pools and 110% clueless!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Speed Stir Question

I always leave it running. I can not think of any reason to stop it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just leave it running as you add the drops, that's what makes it so handy
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I do my tests with the speed stir on the whole time.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

5. Back To Top    #5

I let that thing run. Makes me feel like a real chemist.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

No reason to stop, Let'er rip. That's why you bought it so you don't have to stop, check, start, stop, check
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

7. Back To Top    #7

Should one use a separate magnet just for chlorine testing like you use a separate sample tube for testing the chlorine sample?
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

8. Back To Top    #8

No, but good idea to rinse it.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a separate magnet for each test and at the end I just rinse them all off. Next time you need a refill they have them at TFTestkits.net. The extra magnets are not required, but it helps to speed up the testing.

I always keep my FC and salt magnets with those cylinders.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone!!!
    - 30,000 gallon (16'x40' - 10' at deep end) gunite
    - Sta-Rite DE 60 sq/ft filter
    - AquaCal Heatpump (broken...)
    - new to pools and 110% clueless!

11. Back To Top    #11

The reason for the separate tube for the chlorine test is that it will discolor over time
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I have often thought it would be cool if there were ml markings for both with and without the stir bar in the tube. They probably don't do it to avoid mistakes being made by people accidentally looking at the wrong markings and perhaps the volume of the bars is not consistent. In any case I know by sight how much the bar increases the level. I know I am supposed to put the sample in before the bar but I am lazy.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

13. Back To Top    #13

I know don't use the original tube to test your salt levels. I tried it and it looks like it made an eched ring around the bottom of the tube. I now used the tube that came with the salt test to test my salt levels.
    22k gal 18'x36' Rectangle In Ground Vinyl Lining
    Hayward Pump and Filter
    Hayward AquaRite T-15 SWG
    Polaris 280