Thanks to a friend loaning their sump pump, and some extra muscle we got the winter cover off yesterday! Underneath was not clear (didn't do a full, proper slam when the cover went on) but not terrible. Green tint and cloudy but could still see the bottom @10' down.
We just have the temp sensor on the pump so water level was still up and there was no "de-winterizing" other than pulling the cover.
Steps so far
1) remove and store cover
2) backwash pump
3) top off water level
4) start pump
5) start a diet of bleach (side-note, Wal-Mart now has 10% "pool chlorinating liquid" @$2.50/gal.. woohoo!). Last year I found 2 gal/day kept at SLAM levels.. for the first batch I used the remainder of a gallon from last season, and 2 gal of the 10%.
6) started Aquabot and brushing
1) water sample/chem test : might have done this sooner, but thought it would be more accurate after the pump had been circulating for a day, and knew we would need to spike the chlorine levels anyway. Thought giving a day to let everything homogenize would be good.
2) Adjust chem per test
3) continue aquabot/brushing
4) SLAM until TFP clear!
Last year (before stumbling across TFP) this process took almost 2 months. This year I'm expecting we'll be "mostly clear" in just a few days based on the dramatic overnight improvement (see pics), and then probably a couple weeks before the filter/vac get the rest of the cloudiness out.
Thanks TFP for all the knowledge on here that I can approach this with confidence, and some knowledge of what I'm doing!
Pool right after cover removal (~2pm yesterday)
Pool this morning