Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm confused!!

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm confused!!

I ran a test with the TF-100 kit on my pool water 3 days ago. Everything looked pretty good with just a little low pH of 6.9, and the FC was at 8.0. I ran another test last night to test the FC again and the test water wouldn't even turn pink after adding the powder in and mixing it. I also added some borax (per Pool Math) to get the pH up a bit and it's now right around 7.8.

As a new pool owner, I'm confused as to how I could lose chlorine that quickly in just 3 days. Is this normal, or am I missing something?

Here are my test results from 3 days ago:

FC 8.0
    CH - 225
    TA - 50
    CYA - 40
    pH - 6.9
    Outback Southport GLX AGP (18' round - 7,180 gal.)
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL Multivalve
    Hayward Dream Line Sand Filter (150 lb.)
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: I'm confused!!

Man, Greenville people showing up like crazy these days. Awesome.

8ppm loss in 3 days is a little high but not outside the realm of possibility. I would bring it up to SLAM level after the sun goes down and do an OCLT. Let us know.

As we get into Jun you will probably not want to go more than 2 days without testing/adding also.

edit: also your pH is low
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

HI! I have just the thing for you:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

A pool is like a pet.........it must be feed and cared for each day. My pool "eats" 2-4 ppm of FC each day depending on weather and bather load.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The chlorine level is set based on your CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always keep your chlorine level at target for your CYA. Don't let FC level drop below minimum or your pool will be unsanitary and algae will start growing. Test chlorine and PH daily and keep a log until you understand how your pool behaves. The warmer the water the higher the chlorine consumption. Also, more swimmers equals more chlorine consumption. If your pool is in full sun you probably want to increase CYA to 50 to reduce FC loss to the sun.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    The chlorine level is set based on your CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always keep your chlorine level at target for your CYA. Don't let FC level drop below minimum or your pool will be unsanitary and algae will start growing. Test chlorine and PH daily and keep a log until you understand how your pool behaves. The warmer the water the higher the chlorine consumption. Also, more swimmers equals more chlorine consumption. If your pool is in full sun you probably want to increase CYA to 50 to reduce FC loss to the sun.
    That was going to be my next question actually! Our pool is in full sun all day long and I was wondering if getting CYA up to 50 might be wise for that very reason. I understand that chlorine level needs to correspond to CYA level, so I'll make sure I target based on the chart. Thanks!
    Outback Southport GLX AGP (18' round - 7,180 gal.)
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL Multivalve
    Hayward Dream Line Sand Filter (150 lb.)
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Good plan! If you still use more than 3-4 ppm FC as it gets hotter try taking your CYA up to 60. Nice work!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach