Installing a manual On override with Intermatic Pool Timer

jr9820

May 16, 2016
Lafayette, La
My first post. :cool: I recently had to change out my pool pump timer because it died so I installed a basic intermatic timer from Home Depot. The issue I have found is that with the old school style time wheel and the On Off pins, there is no ability to turn the pump on for say 24 hours non stop. My old timer which I can't find anymore had a switch (not throw switch) that allowed to be toggled from Auto, Off, Manual On but this style only has the metal throw switch for manual on. Problem is that once the next pin hits the switch the pump turn off.
Now is there a way to install a manual throw switch prior to the timer that would allow me to toggle that switch so that the electricity bypasses the timer and turns the pump on and when I'm ready say after shocking the pool for 24 hours and then back washing I can then switch it back to sending the electricity to the timer?

Hope I'm making sense. All the big box places have the same turn dial timer wheel so I assume the other type I had either got priced out or.....
Thanks for any help!!

Welcome to TRP!!

You have the incorrect timer. You need a Intermatic t104 timer it has the manual override built in. They have it at HD online. Free shipment to your store. It comes in several different models like 220 vs 110. Buy the one for your application.

Yes you can construct a manual override but not from over the counter parts from HD and it screws up the timer.

You also might want to read pool school here on TRP We are a a bunch of crazies who don't shock our pools every week. The tfp system does not require shocking and you have a crystal clear clean pool all for less cash. More time and money to sit by the pool and consume margaritas

jr9820 - since you bought it at Home Depot, I assume it's a T104 model. I just remove the little trippers if I want to run continuously. All you should need to remove is the OFF ones. It is possible to fashion a 'manual' override by adding an external switch. You would need to take into account the voltage and current for that switch. And I would caution you to have an electrical contractor do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.