Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CC Question

1. Back To Top    #1

CC Question

I've been working on getting my pool open this spring. It was pretty ugly when I opened the cover, so I've been working hard to get it cleaned up. On the good side the water is very clear (not perfect). The problem is the CC number hasn't been changing. I'm still losing 4ppm of FC each day. My CC has been holding steady at 1.5. I tested my CYA and it was a little different than I originally tested, so I upped my shock number from 12ppm to 14ppm.

Would that small difference be the problem? Is there something else I'm missing that would keep that CC level staying high for so long even though I've been doing a SLAM (with interruptions) for 3 weeks...

Thanks
    20x36' in-ground vinyl pool. 25.5K Gallons. Sta-Rite Sand Filter. Pentair Ultratemp Heat Pump. Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed pump. Tri-Chlor Feeder. Automatic Cover. Taylor K-2600 test kit. Pool owner since 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CC Question

have you checked all the nooks and crannies in the pool that can hide algae? Like under the ladder steps, or behind the light in the niche?

Please give us a full set of test results.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

CC Question

Have you deep cleaned your sand filter? Not backwash but DEEP cleaned it, aka, taken it apart and clean the sand?

If your pool was "ugly" when you opened it, then you can bet that all that crud you killed off is sitting in your filter sand slowly being digested by the chlorine. People are often amazed after a cleaning up a swamp that their backwash water is clear but, when they open up their filter, they find a barrel full of mucky sand.

The filter is the most overlooked and neglected part of the pool pad and, yet, it is the most critical part of your pools equipment setup.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Current numbers:

FC=14
    CC=1 (measured lower this morning)
    pH=7.2
    TA=170
    CH=210
    CYA=35

I haven't been in the pool to get to all the nooks and crannies around things like the light. I have used my pool brush around it though the best I could get at it. I have reached in from the side and brushed all aroudn my steps and the edges around the pool. One place I'm always concerned with is the bottom of my automatic cover. I have no good way to get under that!

I haven't ready about the DEEP cleaning of the sand filter. Is there an article you can point me to? Do I just take the stop of the filter off and scrape off the mucky sand?
    20x36' in-ground vinyl pool. 25.5K Gallons. Sta-Rite Sand Filter. Pentair Ultratemp Heat Pump. Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed pump. Tri-Chlor Feeder. Automatic Cover. Taylor K-2600 test kit. Pool owner since 2013.

5. Back To Top    #5

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates