Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why is copper bad?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why is copper bad?

Split by moderator from HERE. Please ask questions in your own thread and not in another member's. Thanks, jblizzle

Why is copper as an algicide bad? Just trying to get rid of my bioguard stuff this year.
    I will be leaving for a few days, haven't been able to test for my CYA other than the dipstick.
    Test kit may be here tomorrow or the next day
    Was looking at tossing in a bio guard smart silk stick.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does chlorine tablet matter? Cheapest place to buy?

Copper can cause staining and corrode certain equipment parts such as heater cores. It is difficult to eliminate copper from the water once it is in. You can clear the stains, but you have to keep using sequestering agents after that unless you want the stains to reappear.
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Does chlorine tablet matter? Cheapest place to buy?

Well I better be more careful then. Thanks!
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Why is copper bad?

No cloudy water after getting to 8 ppm FC so I believe I'm safe

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

In a vinyl pool, copper wouldn't necessarily be bad except you might turn your water green (or hair) but the chances of scaling onto vinyl is minimal. Plaster pools are much worse in that respect because the local surface of the plaster can have a higher pH than the rest of the water. As well, the plaster surface can easily stain.

The real problem with copper as an algaecide is that the concentration at which it is an effective algaecide (~1ppm) is also well above the point at which it can precipitate out from water. The analogy I would make is that copper is like a toxic gas whose odor threshold (the point at which you can smell it) is also right at it's toxic threshold (the point at which it kills you). Chlorine, on the other hand, is a highly effective algaecide at concentrations way below the point at which it is detrimental to pool equipment and surfaces. Add to the fact that you can not easily test for copper with an expensive test kit and that the only method of elimination is to drain off pool water, it then becomes a less attractive option. For those of us that live in places where annually draining and refilling a pool would be cost-prohibitive, putting anything into the water (metals, excessive CYA, etc) that would force us to dump water is not going to be a good option.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates