Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Borax to reach recommended level and think I created more trouble for myself

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Borax to reach recommended level and think I created more trouble for myself

At opening this season, person at the pool store recommended adding Borate to stabilize pH. I have been using PoolCalc app to control chems with inexpensive household products instead of pool store products and have been very happy. Apparently I did not aggressively lower the pH after the Borax loading and now I have a persistent white film on my serface level tile that is not coming off. Did not notice the surface level film/scale till after a wave of heavy rain that almost crested the pool. Once heavy rains past and adjusted the water level, now persistent film.

Current Chems:

FC 5.8
    pH 8.5
    TA 123
    CH 367
    CYA 83
    SALT 3000
    BORATES 19

Added 1gallon Muriatic Acid based on these results, yesterday. Retesting again tomorrow at pool store and continuing to adjust for pH using Pool Calc. Any other recommendations to clean off film/scum would be greatly appreciated.

Current pump run time 8hours at 40% Boost.
    22,000gallon Gunite IG Rectangular Pool with a Rhombus Bend
    Pentair Tagelus 100D SandFilter, 2.0HP Jandy Stealth main pump
    Pentair Challenger Waterfall pump and Pentair PB4-60 Booster Pump for Polaris 280
    Pentair IntelliChlor ic40 SWG, Pentair Water Heater not in service
    Fill from municiple water supply

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Borax to reach recommended level and think I created more trouble for myse

Have you considered getting one of the recommended test kits so you can test yourself? The ONLY test I "trust" from the pool store is copper levels as I fill from our well.
    Pool Completed 8/2015 18'x36' Gemini shape 3.5' - 8', 19,200 gal IG vinyl, Hayward Max-Flo 1.5 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward Pro Series 300-lb sand filter, Hayward AquaPlus SWG, NO Autofill, Dolphin M400 robot, Taylor 2005 test kit, 434 gal Bullfrog A7L spa

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Adding Borax to reach recommended level and think I created more trouble for myse

shopping for one now, thanks!
    Pentair Challenger Waterfall pump and Pentair PB4-60 Booster Pump for Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Aaahhh! Now we will be able to really help!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Son View Post
    shopping for one now, thanks!
    TF-100 test kit either from PoolSupplyWorld.com or TFTestkits.net This is THE BEST kit to have as it gives the best bang for your buck by providing the most reagents for the tests you actually do most of.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Kit is on its way! Stay tuned for results to come.

7. Back To Top    #7

Still tuned!
    Last edited by MarianParoo; 05-23-2016 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Darn auto-correct

8. Back To Top    #8

TF-100 in and 1st test completed, here it goes:

FC-3
    pH-8.2
    TA-160
    CH-300
    CYA-70
    Salt-2600
    Borate-30

Based on these results, I plugged into PoolMath and added the stuff I had on hand: 80# Salt, 96oz of 6% Bleach and approx 100oz of Muriatic Acid.

Could someone point out the thread that prioritizes what chem to adjust first and in what order to make adjustments.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Great job getting the test kit, major difference in levels..

I do
    bleach
    MA
    anything else

wait 10 to 20 minutes between adding (brush the pool) then add the next chem...

keep your FC above 3 at all times and target 6, I know the chart says 5 for SWG but if you target 6 then you're good

Is the pool cloudy? if so start a SLAM, if not your good

From the looks of your results you need to lower TA (target 80) and PH
    Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

10. Back To Top    #10

So hows the white scum/film? Were you able to eliminate it?
    IG Pebble sheen blue surf approx. 14k gallon, beach entry, 7' spa, 3.5 ton jumping rock/waterfall, Pentair 2hp whisper flo, booster pump, 520 cartridge filter, Stenner Econ T, 400k master temp heater, easy touch controls,TF-100 w/speedstir