Pool Resurface, Help Please

Mike71

May 15, 2016
Framingham/MA
Hi all,

New pool owner, 40 x 20 Gunyte pool, painted 5 years ago over the older plaster. Time to resurface, I have had a bunch of different contractors tell me many different things. Was leaning towards trying to up the budget enough to have a pebble Tec resurface done. Have another guy telling me that his fiberglass Gel Coat is the way to go, it will last forever etc. unsure of what to do, reading all kinds of different things. So the question is an older Gunyte resurface, I don't want to Paint again, so what is best, Plaster, pebble Tec or should I be considering the fiber glass gel coat? In the New England area of that matters. Any helpful advice is appreciated, it is costly and I am just trying to make the right decision. Thanks.
Mike

Agreed that you do not want to paint again, it doesn't work very well or last very long. Pebbletec is the leader in the industry and their product will last 25+ years if you maintain your water chemistry properly. Pebbletec certifies their installers and will back up the warranty and get involved as necessary if the installer isn't making it right for you. Other pebble products will last a long time as well. Quartz is the next best option at 15+ years and regular plaster at 10+ years. All will last significantly longer with proper water management and managing your CSI. They can all fail much sooner with poor water chemistry due to etching, scaling, staining and other issues.

I have never heard of fiberglass gel coat being applied in a gunite pool.

Agreed that you do not want to paint again, it doesn't work very well or last very long. Pebbletec is the leader in the industry and their product will last 25+ years if you maintain your water chemistry properly. Pebbletec certifies their installers and will back up the warranty and get involved as necessary if the installer isn't making it right for you. Other pebble products will last a long time as well. Quartz is the next best option at 15+ years and regular plaster at 10+ years. All will last significantly longer with proper water management and managing your CSI. They can all fail much sooner with poor water chemistry due to etching, scaling, staining and other issues.

I have never heard of fiberglass gel coat being applied in a gunite pool.

Thanks for the input.

Fiberglass by MAVERICK POOL - Proudly Meeting Your Pool Resurfacing Needs in the MA, ME, NH, CT, RI, NY, VT Areas

This was the company trying to sell me on the Fiberglass Gel Coat.

Wait I need a skip loader to remove all the 1/4 truths and manure on that site from my man cave.

Wow.

Dave is correct above.

Fiberglass pools don't have any appreciable effect on chemical use. If you search around here you will see many fiberglass overlays with problems. I'm not saying these guys have problems, but the concept is not all that and a piece of cake. The gel coat in a fiberglass pool is applied over the fiberglass surface of the pool.

I'm not sure how you would apply a gel coat outside in an existing pool. I'd like to see that

They don't post their warranty terms but major fiberglass pool manufactures do. So if you look at the current Viking pools warranty (they are one of the largest builders of fiberglass pools in the us). That warranty only warrants the finish against osmotic blistering (huh) as long as you own the pool. There is no Viking warranty as to fading or color changes.

Got it Thanks. The warranty was a 25 year thing but had some exclusions for if it was the fault of the Gunyte foundation, so I imagine that would be the out. It seems like my initial feelings were correct and I should find room in the budget to go pebble. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.