First opening...first real thread. 30' radiant ABG with 4" coping.

Great

2 gal of household bleach tomorrow morning

Will let pH and TA ride for now. Man I hate doing this a day before I leave. My wife will kill me if it is cloudy. So clear now LOL. She thinks I should just put the smart sticks in like last year since I have 18# of them!

I was tempted but my CYA at 45 is good for me!

To lower TA you have to use acid which also lowers pH. That's why it only says, "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH." That's the acid/aeration" method as seen on the Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page.

Re: First opening...first real thread. 30' radiant ABG with 4" coping.

Cool. Thank you. I will wait and retest everything this weekend. Also just manually calculated my approximate number of gallons in the pool and not basing it on some char I found online or what I actually thought I purchased. Instead of 23,400 gallons it is 20,348.

30 x 30 x 3.832' x 5.9 = 20,348

- - - Updated - - -

8.0 FC too high for this time of year and no bather load?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: First opening...first real thread. 30' radiant ABG with 4" coping.

Correct 45, now 50 for government work :)
I'm keeping my results in this one thread for the season so we can scroll back.
Since I didn't SLAM my pool at opening, 8 is OK, that's my reasoning. haaaaa.

Doc is loving his kit. My five year old was helping and said, "we're scientists."
Love the speedstir, makes life grand. Appreciate the help and patience.

- - - Updated - - -

Last question for now. I'm a planner, soooo....
Pool is on south side of house, gets full sun (as much as we can say that in central NY) all day.
What is the best and cheapest plan for chlorine?
I read in another post you are doing 1/2 gal per day of 8.25%.
I'm thinking I might be half that if I'm really lucky. I know time will tell what I need, but is it best and cheapest to buy five gallons of (insert % here) at the local box store?

Each part of the country seems to have its market on chlorine. It really depends on what's available in your area. Chlorine is chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) so as long as you know the percentage of that item and can get good deal - go for it. Some people get lucky at places like SAM's Club or Costco, others at their local hardware or mom & pop shop. I get my regular generic bleach at our local grocery store chain for just under $3 per gallon. Wal-Mart started selling some 10% bleach in their pool sections this year (white bottles) for $2.50. Some others get the bleach in bulk - like 5 gal reusable containers.

Yes Doc. For a regular, typical day you are right in the ball park. FC still slightly high, but given everything you went through that's probably just as well. It will sink closer to your target (6) tomorrow. From now on, just make sure to watch that FC every day. As long as your CYA is 50, never let the FC drop below 4. You're doing well. If the condition of the water ever changes, let us know right away and post a new (full) set of test results.

Cool. Thx. Can I do the simple test for chlorine with the included K kit or do the powder and drops combo?

once settled I assume I can use the K1000

now off to buy a new gauge since mine reads ten when off and 28 when running.

Many people use both the FAS-DPD (power & drops) and OTO viewer. Sometimes it's just for a really quick convenience test, other times to stay sharp with color comparing the various shades of bus-yellow, yellow/brown, etc as the chlorine level increases. Not bad to know your way around both products. But for accuracy, you can't beat the FAS-DPD.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.