Age is catching up with me and my pool

May 15, 2016
Austin, TX
Last year I started taking over pool care. I decided to save on the $50+/week by adding my own chemicals and emptying my own skimmers.

I live in Austin, TX, and during the summer I noticed my pool was losing water quickly. I figured it was the heat and bought a solar cover online. Over the winter, I noticed I was still losing water, and when I took off my cover, my pool was now green.

My first step was to fix the leak. I paid ~$625 to have someone tell me I needed to regrout and that the resistance trainer had a crack in it. Then they wanted $1900 to fix it. I decided the grouting could wait, and I would have to fix the cracked pipe myself. I used to plast-aid and eventually got the leak to stop. I had emptied the pool and power washed the algae that had accumulated over the winter.

Once I refilled my pool, I turned the system back on, added a half bottle of clorox algae killer, and two packets of pool shock (sodium hypochlorite, i think). This morning I came out to find the new water I had just added was already green. I also found my heater was pouring out water. I added about 6 scoops of DE and about 30 minutes later, the DE came pouring out through the cleaner/vacuum.

When I go on automatic, the cleaner/vacuum only works sporadically, the pressure on the filters is zero.

I ran the pool in service mode and turned on the filters. This seemed to work well. But I can't leave it on all the time.

I think I need to do the following, in this order:
  1. Stop the leaks in the heater
  2. Make sure the pups, filters and cleaners are all working properly
  3. Get the pool back to a nice, crystal clear.

Any advice and tips would be helpful. Also, I don't have a testing kit yet.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You seem to have a few things happening at once. Some of my recommendations may not sound all that appealing, but let's give it a shot:
- Can you by-pass your heater? That would be ideal right now. If your heater has ruptured and has copper lines, you may be adding copper to your water which could make it green or stain the pool.
- Order a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test it. You want to save money, and you will with TFP care, but you MUST have the proper test kit. We need to see test results from one of those (see TF-100 link below)
- Don't add any other chemicals to your water other than regular bleach from HEB (Bravo) or Wal-Mart (Great Value). About 1/2 gallon per day for now until we see YOUR test results.
- Add your pool info to your signature below. You can add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

We'll start here and try to help you as best as we can.