Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weird question

1. Back To Top    #1

Weird question

If your pool is set up with a SWG can you turn it off and run the pool as a non SW pool?
    Square 19,000 gallon in-ground pool
    cartridge filter
    SWG
    intelliflo vs+svrs
    K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Weird question

Yes. No reason you can't. Just need to consider lowering CYA if it's up at SWG level and make sure you are using the proper chart.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks, I'm not sure if there's an issue with the system and figured worst case scenario I could bypass the SWG. Appreciate the insight!
    cartridge filter
    SWG
    intelliflo vs+svrs
    K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

My SWG while also on a timer can be turned on and off independently when I desire.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Sure, I use bleach regularly to supplement my SWG during pool parties and busy swimming weekends. I also turn off my SWG when the temp gets down to 70 in the fall and switch to bleach until the temp gets back to 70 in the spring.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Appreciate the insight! Just filled the pool and started the pump so I haven't been able to test the water. I had a guy clean and open the pool since it's the first year I've had it, is there a time I should first test the water?
    cartridge filter
    SWG
    intelliflo vs+svrs
    K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Wait a couple of hours so it circulates well; then test. What kit do you have? Don't see it in your signature.

8. Back To Top    #8

I bought the K-2005 and got the test the site recommends to make it a K-2006. I have a SWG that is showing no flow so I may not want to fix the SWG if the cost is going to be too high. I see mixed reviews on them and am curious if people feel it's worth repairing SWGs. Seems like a lot of work to address the issue.
    cartridge filter
    SWG
    intelliflo vs+svrs
    K-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Since opening my SWG is been off I'm using bleach

6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir