Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To SLAM or NOT

1. Back To Top    #1

To SLAM or NOT

I started noticing a brown/green layer in the pool in a few areas such as ledges and a few areas on the wall. The water appeared to be clear. Once it was brushed and vacuumed obviously the water would get cloudy. This started 3 or 4 days ago. I have replaced the cartridge filter with my clean backup. Vacuuming as ofetn as possible.
    Test results as follows:

5/14, 3PM
    FC 5, CC 0.5
    PH 7.8, I know this is a little high been adding baking soda to get TA up to 80
    TA 80
    Salt 3300
    Wtr temp 81

5/15, 10AM, just prior to pump starting
    FC 4, CC 0.5
    nothing changed
    Shut off SWG
    I added 116oz of bleach just for precautions.
    FC 10, CC 0.5 at 12N
    FC 6 at 630PM, pump is off normal.

Gonna wait till sun is off of pool and test FC to start the OCLT
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To SLAM or NOT

At this point, there's really no need to do the OCLT. Brushing, vacuuming, and a short-lived FC increase will not work. You need to perform the SLAM thoroughly as noted on the SLAM page (link below). That's the only way to kill the algae. You need to first lower pH to about 7.2 then increase and maintain the proper SLAM FC level based on your current CYA (what is your CYA?). Only after doing that should you then consider the OCLT as the final item to test when looking to pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Let us know if you have any questions.

- - - Updated - - -

For your FC (Bleach), regular HEB (Bravo) or Wal-Mart (Great Value) will work just fine. The regular/plain stuff.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

60 to 70

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

4. Back To Top    #4

Best to round-up when not sure. So a CYA of 70 requires an FC SLAM level of 28. You can leave the SWG off or at a low percentage if you wish during the SLAM. Some people find it easier to calculate bleach additions with it off. It's up to you. Good luck, and let us know you have any more questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Thats what i thought

6. Back To Top    #6

You're very welcome. If you're caught in tonight's weather, be safe. We'll watch for your updates later.

7. Back To Top    #7

I work all day and dont have anyone to monitor. So should i just dose to slam level or more

8. Back To Top    #8

No problem. I wouldn't go more than maybe 2-3 ppm over your SLAM. Anything too high just becomes a waste of your bleach (to the sun) and doesn't really help the SLAM go any faster. You can just increase it when you get home.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok

10. Back To Top    #10

Actually, that may be one of those times where your SWG can come-in handy during your absence. To help slow-down FC loss.

11. Back To Top    #11

Good point. I will leave it on at say 50%. Which is about where i run it

12. Back To Top    #12

Got home from work at 530. Tested FC at 16.5 and PH 7.6. Vacuumed pool.
    Now i have a benchmark. Added enough bleach to bring back to SLAM level of 28. Add MA to bring PH to 7.2 Now waiting to test FC again. Once i test FC again i will thwn shut off swg and test again in tje morning before i go to work.
    Leaving the pump on all the time during the slam...of course

13. Back To Top    #13

Good work on the FC! Now remember .... the pH gives you a "false high" because the FC is over 10. So don't bother lowering the pH or testing it when you know the FC is over 10 during a SLAM.

14. Back To Top    #14

Oh yea...i knew that. Just forgot. This why i love this forum

15. Back To Top    #15

Tested FC again at 815PM
    Over shot target a little.
    FC 31. Pump running and swg off.....will test in the morning before i go to work i will test again.

16. Back To Top    #16

Good luck!

17. Back To Top    #17

Tested FC this morning before going to work at 6AM.
    FC was 28. Turned swg back on and off to work.

18. Back To Top    #18

Good plan! Go make some bleach money.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

19. Back To Top    #19

LOL...i feel like iam almost there

20. Back To Top    #20

Got home late from work last nite. Tested at 9pm. Fc 18. Brought fc up to 29 to 29.5 at 10pm. Swg is off. Tested at 5 am before work. Fc 29.5
    Is 7 hours without a change in fc good enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast