Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Site Leveling

1. Back To Top    #1

Seattle WA

Site Leveling

Hello, I have arrived at this forum because my family has finally broken me down and gotten me to agree to get a pool. At first we were looking at a package at Costco, but it seemed to small to really be enjoyable, so we have decided to get an Intex 12x24x52" Ultra Frame (I think). Roughly 8500 gallons.

My first question is on where this thing will eventually live. It's marked and I will be applying grass killer so I won't have to dig up the sod. After that I will be getting some type of medium delivered and will level it and rent a compactor to tamp it down.

What would be the best thing to use to build up the area? By my eye there might be six to eight inches of difference between the highest and lowest spot on the area (which I'm figuring will be 14X25 feet). I was thinking fill dirt would work but didn't know if any of you would use pea gravel. I'll be putting a gorilla mat under the pool.

Thanks for reading!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Site Leveling

Welcome to TFP

We always recommend digging down and not building up... building up can be done but it is a process and requires many layers and there is still no promise it will not compact with the weight of these pools...

I dug down and then used crushed rock and sand under my install, check it out in my sig below
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide
    Central PA

You'll want to get rid of the sod. It makes an awful stink as it rots under the pool. (Found that out with our first easyset.)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

To do this job correctly, I would remove the sod completely.

You can then level the entire pad or put a layer of pea gravel on top. That'll give you a nice base.

Do not use the dirt you dig up as fill. It will settle too much.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School