Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 50,000 gallons and TA is 230 this am

1. Back To Top    #1

50,000 gallons and TA is 230 this am

What a fantastic site. Too bad in took me 2 years and lots of $$$ before I found it. I went to the DIY store and built the aerator inspired from Rangeball back in the day ( you can find it here on TFP - search for "my aerator"). I also pick up a couple go gallons of muriatic acid. It took 2 hours to build the aerator because I am slow. No glue necessary, all fittings held through PVC pipe pressure and it is actually is working. I will post a pic in about 5 mins. Total cost = $30.

Here are my numbers as of this morning:

pH 7.2
    CH less than 1 --- just converted this year to a SWG that is not keeping with my demand yet. I have shocked twice in the last 48 hours and adding CH tablets in skimmer to help until the SWG kicks in.
    TA 230
    CYA 100

So, the plan is to aerate the water until TA comes back with acceptable limits and use the acid to lower pH as needed. Am I on the right path other than needing a lot more Chlorine?
    --------------------------
    20x50 IG Vinyl Liner / 50k gals, Pentair Superflo (1.5 HP Pump), Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, 400k BTU Heater (Rheem), Pentair Intellichlor (SWG) , Automatic Cover (pending) - just got bid, 2 Skimmers, 4 Return Jets, 1 Drains
    2200 sqft of Stamped/Textured/Colored Concrete, Diving Board

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 50,000 gallons and TA is 230 this am

Welcome to TFP!!

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Water Balance for SWGs

Note that CH here means Calcium Hardness. What are you testing your pool with?

You CYA appears to be too high and if the SWG can not keep up, it must be due to something in the pool. To fix that, you might need to replace some water and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Forget about the TA right now and focus on getting the water back under control and safe. TA is about the last thing to worry about.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm using a Taylor K - 2005. I will focus on shock, level and maintain process.
    20x50 IG Vinyl Liner / 50k gals, Pentair Superflo (1.5 HP Pump), Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, 400k BTU Heater (Rheem), Pentair Intellichlor (SWG) , Automatic Cover (pending) - just got bid, 2 Skimmers, 4 Return Jets, 1 Drains

4. Back To Top    #4

Your test kit is devoid of the most important test we need: The FAS-DPD test which tests FC up to 50ppm.

You can order it individually and it will make your kit equivalent to the K-2006 kit we trust.

TFTestkits.net is the site to order it from TFTestkits.net
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Roger. Ordering now. Thank you.

6. Back To Top    #6

Perfect on getting the FAS-DPD test! Redo your CYA test with the dilution method. Here are the instructions: Pool School - CYA

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the K-2005 it will work. However the titration method, which is what you just ordered, is superior in every way. When my reagents run out I will order the ones for the fas-dpd. However, either will work it is just a matter of ease and accuracy. I got mine for such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

GL with the slam I am still in process on my swamp and am 2 weeks strong. Post some pics when/if you can.

Thanks
    Jared
    33k IG Gunite, Hayward T-15 Cell SWG, Hayward Sand Filter S210T , Pump Wisper Flo 1.5 HP, Test Kit K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

The OTO will not give you an accurate result above 5ppm. It's just a guess after that. The FAS-DPD goes up to 50 ppm.

9. Back To Top    #9

K-2005 has the DPD test not the OTO based on everything I can find on the net. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Jared
    33k IG Gunite, Hayward T-15 Cell SWG, Hayward Sand Filter S210T , Pump Wisper Flo 1.5 HP, Test Kit K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

You are right. The DPD in the 2005 goes to 10ppm.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    You are right. The DPD in the 2005 goes to 10ppm.
    If you can differentiate the shades of pink. As stated above the FAS-DPD is far superior.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Amen. Wouldn't want to test without my FAS-DPD!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Helicop: let us know the results of your CYA dilution test.

13. Back To Top    #13

I think it'll do 40 ppm with correction factors, I will be glad when I trade up though 😀.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Amen. Wouldn't want to test without my FAS-DPD!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Helicop: let us know the results of your CYA dilution test.
    I will post the results the day my kit arrives. It has already been shipped. Thank you all.

15. Back To Top    #15

Great! You can do the dilution test with the 2005, btw. No need to wait to know where your CYA is.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok everyone. New kit arrived today. Here are my numbers.

FC - .5
    CC - 1
    PH - 7.6
    TA - 190
    CH - 550
    CYA - 100

Let me guess, drain the pool to get CYA within acceptable range 80 or less and then incorporate SLAM. Sound about right?

17. Back To Top    #17

Sounds like you got it

Might try the CYA dilution test to see how far above 100ppm it might be.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Do the CYA dilution test linked below to determine how high your CYA really is. Let's go from there.
    Pool School - CYA