Added bleach but FC didn't increase

Lear

May 12, 2016
New York
Right now I only have FROG test strips. I have a K-2006 test kit on order.

The test showed my FC is 0. Makes sense because I just filled up a brand new pool. (15666 gallons)

Using the pool calculator, I added 70 oz of 8.25% bleach. Later I tested again and the test still showed 0 FC.

I am thinking the test strips just aren't good.

How long after you added the bleach did you test? As said above you might have lost it all to the sun. And of course on top of that test strips are pretty worthless anyway.

Use PoolMath and get 30ppm of CYA dissolving in a sock hanging in front of a return jet or in the skimmer.

Right now I only have FROG test strips. I have a K-2006 test kit on order.
...Hope it gets there soon :)

The test showed my FC is 0. Makes sense because I just filled up a brand new pool. (15666 gallons)
... Ok, kind of understandable. Was this city or well water?

Using the pool calculator, I added 70 oz of 8.25% bleach. Later I tested again and the test still showed 0 FC.
... How long was "later"?? If it was lots later and a sunny day it might make sense. You need CYA to hold that FC.

I am thinking the test strips just aren't good.

...they're not. That's why we call 'em "Guess-Strips" :joker:

City water.

It was probably about 8 hours later. Overcast day with rain and hail.

How soon after adding a chemical should I retest the water?

I am really bad with color comparison, so the test strips are awful for me. I'm guessing pH is going to be tough for me.

Again I want to thank all of you for the tips.

I used the pool calculator and raised my CYA from 0 to 30. Spent the summer pretty much just adding 30-60 oz of bleach every night to the pool. Had to constantly add acid because my pH number was always rising.

Pool did get cloudy. However, I found I was not properly backwashing my sand filter. I feel silly to say this, but I was just doing the 'waste' setting all summer. Well now I know!

Glad you figured that out! Each pool is different. My pool is so algae-free that at the first sign of something wrong, I always run to my filter gauge. Uh-oh. Time to backwash for me. Some people find that it's their pH, for others it could be something else. When in doubt, there's always the OCLT to rule out organics.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.